Anyone get any cool BBQ gifts? Eat any good bbq over the break?

SuburbSlicker

Full Fledged Farker
I've been away from the boards for a couple of weeks now and on the road. Anyone have any great or terrible holiday BBQ experiences?

I had some mediocre pork (but best cornbread ever and great service) in Statesville, N.C. while away.

Got to try my first PlowBoys rub yesterday which had a number of nice, rich layers, and my father-in-law bought me my first weed burner at Northern Supply which I'm looking forward to trying.

I also got Chris Lilly's book ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bob-Gibsons-BBQ-Book/dp/0307408116/ref=la_B002GO3J4M_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420470294&sr=1-1"]Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book: Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint: Chris Lilly: 9780307408112: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Wqe1szCIL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Wqe1szCIL[/ame]) which I'm really enjoying.

How about you?

Got some various gadgets that I needed. Nothing to major yet. We are looking to get a trailer so that will be my big present. The wife did surprise me with signing us up for a cooking with bourbon class at the distillery which includes a private tour with the head distiller and cooking a 5 course meal so that should be pretty fun.

My Son and His Wife gave me the ultimate BBQ gift, Beer of the Month Club Membership, I get a case of any beer our local Budweiser distributor carries the first of every month for a year! Thats goes with BBQ really well, I guess I'll have to buy my own for the other 3 weeks of the month!

I got an iGrill2 with the additional ambient temp probe, one of Thermoworks Mini IR thermometers that I plan to use on my griddle and for checking temps on the oil for fish fry's and such and some Oakridge rubs!

We finally got back last night from our Christmas/New Year's travels and I'm ready to lit a fire and get to cooking.

The lovely Mrs. Akoda got me a box of nice flat skewers, Raichlen gloves, more tongs and weber lighter cubes.

I got a thermapen. I would have never have justified the purchase for myself. Wow is it fast. I had an instant read that read in under ten seconds, may as well been 10 minutes in comparison.

I got a thermapen. I would have never have justified the purchase for myself. Wow is it fast. I had an instant read that read in under ten seconds, may as well been 10 minutes in comparison.

That is the general consensus when people finally splurge for a Thermapen after fighting the cost for so long. It is a great handy tool, but definitely not a necessity when cooking bbq.

Got some various gadgets that I needed. Nothing to major yet. We are looking to get a trailer so that will be my big present. The wife did surprise me with signing us up for a cooking with bourbon class at the distillery which includes a private tour with the head distiller and cooking a 5 course meal so that should be pretty fun.

Sounds like a cool gift. Which distillery?

My wife got me a thermopop, I guess I can't complain about the 5-6 second wait since my Battle Box was an early Christmas present.

Charcoal lighter from one of the grandkids...
(Very similar to my 4/0 Senator rod & reel).

picture.php

I bought myself a Lavatools Thermowand. Works great. Also received a kitchen scale for my new hobby: bread baking.

I bought myself a Lavatools Thermowand. Works great. Also received a kitchen scale for my new hobby: bread baking.

I have one of those, and it is great and very fast. It replaced an industrial thermo for AC repair that took 15 to 20 seconds to give me a reading. Now I get a reading in about 3 seconds. I especially liked the price vs the Thermopen price.

Blessings,

Omar

Back