Anyone else notice inflated shipping costs at webstaurantstore.com?

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Anyone else experience inflated shipping costs at webstaurantstore?

I use webstaurantstore sometimes, just because I don't want to make the trip to Restaurant Depot, or Restaurant Equippers (https://www.equippers.com/) that are somewhat near me. Convenience is the name of the game. Whenever I had ordered in the past, shipping has always been somewhat reasonable.

In an email webstaurantstore had solicited a shipping subscription similar to what Amazon offers, but I declined because I only place 3 or 4 orders per year.

Yesterday I went to webstaurantstore.com (https://www.webstaurantstore.com) to restock on our Minor's soup stock/ base items, nylon pan liners, and a couple replacement heads for our french fry cutters. When I went to check out, the cost of shipping far exceeded the cost of the products. It's not like these are heavy equipment parts, just light aluminum cutting heads, and the pan liners weigh virtually nothing because they are thin sheets of plastic (a case of a hundered is just over a pound). I sent a question asking about the shipping fees and webstaurantstore responded that "we cater to bulk sales even though we do sell lesser quantities".

I found the same Minor's products on Amazon for less than a dollar more with free shipping, and the pan liners are in stock at Restaurant Depot. I guess webstaurantstore won't be my first stop to check pricing/purchase anymore. It's a shame because I never had to leave home to get what I needed, but times are changing. I discovered you can find almost anything on Amazon.

That puts a dent in them for me. I think I'll just use them for research and buy elsewhere.

Definitly. I ordered some sheet pans a while back and the shipping seemed fairly high to me. When I received them, it looked like a small child had packed and taped the box and the quality of the pans is not as good as the ones I bought at Resraurant Depot. Doubt I will be ordering anything from them again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On the other hand, I bought some Vacmaster chamber bags 2 weeks ago and got free shipping. Go figure

I had been on the outs with them, ever since they sent everything for my order, except the Cambro that I needed for a big family dinner. I ended up finding one locally for even less, and then as I looked it seemed their prices could be beat/matched elsewhere. I had looked at some pans on there about a month ago and realized that it was again Amazon that had them beat-$5 more a pan, but $40 less in shipping.

Okay.... BACK UP THE BUS. It's a coincidence... but I just placed an order for Minor's products from soupbase.com. A group order actually that totaled $185. Here is how cool these folks are. When I placed the order there was a statement on the site that they would review the shipping options and would select a better one if needed once my order was in a box with an accurate weight.

So, my initial invoice showed $36 for shipping, which I thought was steep, but we like Minor's products. A day later when the order was processed, I got an e-mail saying the adjusted shipping cost would be $19. And... I got no less than 4 e-mails letting me know when it was shipped, a tracking number and a reminder on which day it would arrive.

Okay.... BACK UP THE BUS. It's a coincidence... but I just placed an order for Minor's products from soupbase.com. A group order actually that totaled $185. Here is how cool these folks are. When I placed the order there was a statement on the site that they would review the shipping options and would select a better one if needed once my order was in a box with an accurate weight.

So, my initial invoice showed $36 for shipping, which I thought was steep, but we like Minor's products. A day later when the order was processed, I got an e-mail saying the adjusted shipping cost would be $19. And... I got no less than 4 e-mails letting me know when it was shipped, a tracking number and a reminder on which day it would arrive.

I already ordered 12 from amazon.com, but will definitely look at soupbase.com on my next order. Thanks for the info.

I've really noticed it since last fall, I think they are trying to move their business model more towards the $99.00 month plus member program with free shipping.

And it might come out in the wash for business's that have steady monthly purchasing but some caterers like me have several months out of the year of high volume purchasing and some lean months we buy very little at all.

I need to take a hard look at the books and see if $1200 a year in fee's merit's continuing to do business with them.

And also to remind myself having a delivery service to the door saves a bunch of time and money versus running to the club stores when out of fail pans etc. plus all the specialty sauces and items Gordon's and Sams don't stock and have to be ordered somewhere.

I think the prices on the individual bases ranged from $8 to $14, with the clam base being one of the higher priced ones.

It's like Christmas with all the new selections there, LOL....

I'm going to place an order for some new items I haven't seen before.

Have you tried the gravy mixes yet?

The sad part for them is that they may drive away smaller quantity sales, but how difficult is it going to be to get those customers back when they realize they may have comprised a significant part of their annual sales.

The jump is what boggles me. I was placing an order last week. At the end of the order I added 1 pound bag of mix. The shipping increased by $9. The item was $6.

I was buying some stuff a while back. One item shipped free. When I added the free shipping item to my cart my shipping actually went up like 10 bucks. I removed it from the cart and the shipping dropped 10 bucks.

I ended up making two orders. Weird.

Thanks for the tip on soupbase.com, I placed an $80.00 order and found a coupon code on the net to celebrate their new location which had expired on Sunday for $3.50 shipping. I entered the code anyways and it accepted the code, but still listed shipping at $11.00.

I really didn't expect the code to work because it was expired, so I wasn't upset. This morning I received an email stating total shipping was $3.50.

Thanks for sharing, good prices, awesome selection, and a great deal on shipping to boot. Fast service, the package will be delivered tomorrow.

:clap2:

I was going to order a 2.89 vent cap for my Cambro until they wanted $22 to ship it. When I questioned them on shipping their response was shipping is what it is. No new cap.

^^^^^^^ Have you tried the Cambro Replacement Parts website?

Replacement Part orders can be placed directly with
Cambro Customer Service at 800.833.3003.

# 14200 All Camcarriers 1-Vent Cap $1.05

Back