Anybody Make Your Own Rub?

IamMadMan, OK, so you entirely put your trust into somebody else making yours, blindly believing they are living up to your hopes. OK. I'm different.
And your reference to pliers on a screw irks me friend. I carry a 30+ pound tool bag for the electrical work I used to do. Each tool has it's purpose. All of them in concert allowed me to accel in my craft. I retired before many sad faces to see me remove myself from the training and learning pool.
You can't really be that naive as to think a commercial rub is so pure. Bannana's. They gather that which is available at the time of need, blend and tweak it, bottle and send it out. But you believe what you want to believe.
Far be it from me to pop your bubble.

You're not popping my bubble at all ...

You simply asked;
"I see where many here buy this or that commercial rubs. And I have to ask:
Why? Why not build your own?"
- then you want to find fault with my reply because I don't agree with you. . But, I'm also not the one in the bubble.

I didn't find fault with your choice, I only replied why I make my choice. I'm sorry that you can't accept another person's point of view when you asked for it.

Besides designing electronic/bio metric access control and programing, I have also designed and implemented networks for asset protection. So I fully understand using the right tool for the right job. Retiring from an electronics background, I completely understand each and every tool has a specific purpose and they should be used properly. But I have also seen many idiots who think they are a qualified technician destroy the hard work of designing, fabricating, and integration of a working system by using the wrong tools in the wrong application (IE:trying to use pliers to remove tri-wing security screws).

I also have been teaching culinary arts students for over 8 years with the differences in types of salts, spices, and how different types/species impart greatly different flavors.

I even stated that not all commercial rubs are created equally. There are some producers who focus on high quality, while other producers focus on high profit. Yes a good rub producer selects specific salts, specific species, from specific regions, and of course they cost more due to the ingredients.

So no, I am not really so naive to think that all commercial rubs are pure. But I did do my homework, to find that there are some producers who use specific top shelf ingredients, without anti-clumping agents, artificial ingredients, and fillers. Trying to create these at home using the same spices, would make a homemade version far too expensive for an individual to make, let alone the fact that the high priced spices would probably lose their potency before one could fully use them up. Producers can buy in bulk at greatly reduced prices, and use them at a quicker pace. I also understand that electronics used in quality control can measure purity standards and levels of essential oils. But, I'm not so naive to believe that a rub made by measure with grocery store salt and spices can really be better than a hand weighed/hand mixed quality small batch commercial rub producer either. The quality producers do not stock their items to sit on shelves and lose their potency; But rather they are made in small hand crafted batches that are made with the demand for the product.

Bottom line is that one will use what they think is best, and some will never leave their comfort zone. That is fine, I don't fault anyone for their choice, we use what we like.

Others have stated previously that buying high quality spices is expensive, couple that with the time it takes to order them from purveyors of fine spices, the time it takes to weigh them, and and the time it takes to blend them. For me, I'd rather be spending time with my wife and Grandchildren. I just don't need to re-invent the wheel when a good variety of them already exist.

Just like many other things related to BBQ, we are all entitled to our opinions and findings, and I am fine with that concept because I am accepting to what other individuals like to do.

Last edited:
It was hard for me to expand my horizons too but once I did, found out how the Pro's do it with Sauces and Rubs. I only trusted my and Family/Friends taste buds. There is indeed a whole nother world out there if you care to explore it.

Nothing wrong with homemade stuff. I used to look at recipes and put together stuff. It was good. It made me feel good, to make it and use it on my Q. However, I have had some really good stuff made commercially. It is easier to buy premade for me. Besides, I sort of get scared off when i see dehydrated honey or other weird ingredients that i dont use for anything else at home.

Yes all the time, i usually find a rub/spice/seasoning that I like and deconstruct it and tweak it to my palate.

The only difference i find is that mine clump because i am not using anti binding agents.

To stop your rub from clumping, bake your brown sugar in the oven for about 20 minutes to draw out all the moisture, then give it a spin through the food processor before mixing up your rub. The moist brown sugar is what usually clumps after all the moisture evaporates.

Morton's Blue Box is what I use on barbecue (pork). Is pouring directly from that box considered using a store-bought rub, or would you say I mix my own...taking into consideration there was no mixing to begin with?

For brisket I use a hybrid of my own mix and pouring straight from someone else's shaker.

I have spent my precious time and $$$ in mixing the perfect ratio (fiddy-fiddy) of salt & pepper for my briskets. BUT I follow that up by layering the rubs & flavor profile by using a commercial label...I sprinkle on an even layer of granulated garlic straight from the manufacturer's bottle.

So I guess I'm a proponent of mixing your own & using pre-made.

I'm with IamMadMan here.

Small batch run makers take their trade very seriously. It's their livelihood in a very competitive and highly critical market. They can't afford to cut corners and you should expect to pay for consistency and quality.

Ask KCMike, SirPorkalot, or Steph from Simply Marvelous if they just get cheap spices from anywhere... of if they give any thought to quality control, you'll probably find that there is an enormous amount of work that goes into each batch before they even turn on the lights.

As for doing it yourself....sure we all do that. Personally I've got a cupboard full of base spices that I can throw together a custom mix at any time for anything I want to do at the time to meet a particular profile I'm looking for at the time.

Repeatable? No.
Marketable? No.
Any good? Hit and miss. Sometimes I nail it. Sometimes I wish I'd just put on some Montreal Seasoning.

Bottom line. Support our guys here and get a selection of their stuff. Make some of your own from time to time... but don't criticize them for being 2nd rate at what they do. These guys have a passion for what they do and have gone though the really bloody hard work of bringing excellent products to market over a long period of time.

Cheers!

I'm with IamMadMan here.

Small batch run makers take their trade very seriously. It's their livelihood in a very competitive and highly critical market. They can't afford to cut corners and you should expect to pay for consistency and quality.

Ask KCMike, SirPorkalot, or Steph from Simply Marvelous if they just get cheap spices from anywhere... of if they give any thought to quality control, you'll probably find that there is an enormous amount of work that goes into each batch before they even turn on the lights.

As for doing it yourself....sure we all do that. Personally I've got a cupboard full of base spices that I can throw together a custom mix at any time for anything I want to do at the time to meet a particular profile I'm looking for at the time.

Repeatable? No.
Marketable? No.
Any good? Hit and miss. Sometimes I nail it. Sometimes I wish I'd just put on some Montreal Seasoning.

Bottom line. Support our guys here and get a selection of their stuff. Make some of your own from time to time... but don't criticize them for being 2nd rate at what they do. These guys have a passion for what they do and have gone though the really bloody hard work of bringing excellent products to market over a long period of time.

Cheers!

I wish I could double thank you for this post

What are some of the ones you like?

I'm with IamMadMan here.

Repeatable? No.
Marketable? No.

Cheers!

Well SmokinAussie gave you the same reply I would have.....

As SmokinAussie stated above; this is their livelihood, countless years of research and development have gone into creating a great product far above the standards of others.

Oakridge BBQ Rubs (KCMike) Hand-Crafted in small batches on demand. While yes some stores have these rubs on the shelf for the convenience of combining supply orders (rubs, sauces, and accessories) and each package is dated. But when ordering directly from Oakridge, your order is produced on the following Monday and then shipped to you. Using high quality flake salts, and using higher quality spices like Vietnamese Saigon Cinnamon; simply make all of the difference in the world. I find these rubs to be lower in salt and sugar content than others I have tried in the market place. The amount of spice in the rub is simply mind boggling. The absence of anti-caking agents, artificial ingredients, and fillers make this a product of superior quality in the smoker or in the oven.

Naturriffic (SirPorkalot) Specialized Seasonings and Dry Brines that make your taste buds do the happy dance. Harvest Brine is one of the greatest seasonings for roast chicken and pork on the grill or in the oven. Naturiffic also has a complete line of "Keto" friendly seasoning salts that impart great flavor. You'll never understand if you don't try them.

Simply Marvelous (Big Brother Smoke) A variety of good rubs with a limited point of distribution. This was actually the first commercial rub I had used after making my own rubs for over 10 years. My only regret is that I didn't try it sooner.

I'd also like to point out that it's not just the spices, but the type of salt, the shape, and the size of the salt crystal that makes all the difference in the world on how your taste buds interpret the basic "salty" component of the rub. The natural mineral content of the salt also affects flavors and perception of salt.

Another example of research and development is not just adding spices for their flavor, but adding spices and ingredients to highlight other flavors. I know of another rub producer who adds anchovy powder to the rub. If I knew this, I would be totally apprehensive, but upon tasting it I found that one could not taste the anchovy. What it did do was to brighten and bring forward the flavors of the other ingredients, thus compounding flavors to the palate.

Many of us are familiar with basic salts (Kosher, sea salt, table salt), but it's the ones we often don't know about that we should be looking at; Maldon Salt Flakes, Sel Gris, Fleur de Sel, only to name a few. Something as simple as Sel Gris on steak, Fleur de Sel on buttered toast, or Maldon Salt Flakes on a tossed salad; all create bold, sparks of taste. It's not just by chance that these artisan salts are used, but rather they are selected for a specific purpose.

Bottom line is that you won't find these Rubs / Seasonings in normal channels of distribution. They are a specialty item, targeting a small demographic group (BBQ Enthusiasts) using quality top shelf ingredients to create products with very high standards. But expect to pay for quality and consistency, it's what elevates them far above all of the others in the market.

Edit Addition...

Don't misinterpret my response, I'm not saying not to make your own rubs. Making homemade rubs can be a fun experiment and the outcome can be very good. They can open new doors of flavor for you. But don't imply that all commercial rubs are inferior to homemade blends. I have tried countless recipes and even varied them from time to time for many years, but I have never created anything I consider to be outstanding. Sometimes in competition you will find that some season the meat before applying a rub, or that they'll use a couple rubs to layer the flavors. We are all individuals with different tastes and likes.

Making rubs or buying rubs will always be a personal choice. Doing either does not make your "Q" better or worse. In the end, I am saying to open your mind to other things. I was set in my ways and my train of thought. I could have saved myself ten years of ordering, grinding, and mixing in an effort to try and achieve what was already available to me. Not only was it readily available, but it was much better than any recipe given or self-created.

Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to try something new once in a while. Think of it as treasure hunting, maybe you'll find something good or maybe you won't, but you'll never know unless you try.

Last edited:
I make my own. It makes me happy

· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons salt [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons sugar [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons brown sugar [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons ground cumin [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons chili powder [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon cayenne pepper [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon onion powder [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon garlic powder [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup paprika (4 tablespoons)[/FONT]

Here's a bunch of stuff

Attachments

• BBQ Rubs.doc
    97.5 KB · Views: 22
  • BBQ Sauces.doc
    66.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1800-Recipe-Archive.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 26
Sonny, to answer your question.
Try regular ground coffee. I dont use instant. The flavor you get is surprising. Very good with beef.

My go-to rub is called Wagon Cook's rub. It's prepared with turbinado sugar, kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, Hungarian sweet paprika and cayenne pepper. It's named after the person that shared the formula with me. I use it mainly on ribs, but have been know to use it on poultry as well.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I do some of both. I have tried a few from Oak Ridge that have changed my mind about commercial rubs, my chief complaint being that they were all too salty for my palate. Being a backyard cook, I am not so much worried about consistency and freshness of ingredients.

The Carne Crosta is something I have not grilled a steak without since I tried it after hearing about it here.

Well SmokinAussie gave you the same reply I would have.....

As SmokinAussie stated above; this is their livelihood, countless years of research and development have gone into creating a great product far above the standards of others.

Oakridge BBQ Rubs (KCMike) Hand-Crafted in small batches on demand. While yes some stores have these rubs on the shelf for the convenience of combining supply orders (rubs, sauces, and accessories) and each package is dated. But when ordering directly from Oakridge, your order is produced on the following Monday and then shipped to you. Using high quality flake salts, and using higher quality spices like Vietnamese Saigon Cinnamon; simply make all of the difference in the world. I find these rubs to be lower in salt and sugar content than others I have tried in the market place. The amount of spice in the rub is simply mind boggling. The absence of anti-caking agents, artificial ingredients, and fillers make this a product of superior quality in the smoker or in the oven.

Naturriffic (SirPorkalot) Specialized Seasonings and Dry Brines that make your taste buds do the happy dance. Harvest Brine is one of the greatest seasonings for roast chicken and pork on the grill or in the oven. Naturiffic also has a complete line of "Keto" friendly seasoning salts that impart great flavor. You'll never understand if you don't try them.

Simply Marvelous (Big Brother Smoke) A variety of good rubs with a limited point of distribution. This was actually the first commercial rub I had used after making my own rubs for over 10 years. My only regret is that I didn't try it sooner.

I'd also like to point out that it's not just the spices, but the type of salt, the shape, and the size of the salt crystal that makes all the difference in the world on how your taste buds interpret the basic "salty" component of the rub. The natural mineral content of the salt also affects flavors and perception of salt.

Another example of research and development is not just adding spices for their flavor, but adding spices and ingredients to highlight other flavors. I know of another rub producer who adds anchovy powder to the rub. If I knew this, I would be totally apprehensive, but upon tasting it I found that one could not taste the anchovy. What it did do was to brighten and bring forward the flavors of the other ingredients, thus compounding flavors to the palate.

Many of us are familiar with basic salts (Kosher, sea salt, table salt), but it's the ones we often don't know about that we should be looking at; Maldon Salt Flakes, Sel Gris, Fleur de Sel, only to name a few. Something as simple as Sel Gris on steak, Fleur de Sel on buttered toast, or Maldon Salt Flakes on a tossed salad; all create bold, sparks of taste. It's not just by chance that these artisan salts are used, but rather they are selected for a specific purpose.

Bottom line is that you won't find these Rubs / Seasonings in normal channels of distribution. They are a specialty item, targeting a small demographic group (BBQ Enthusiasts) using quality top shelf ingredients to create products with very high standards. But expect to pay for quality and consistency, it's what elevates them far above all of the others in the market.

Edit Addition...

Don't misinterpret my response, I'm not saying not to make your own rubs. Making homemade rubs can be a fun experiment and the outcome can be very good. They can open new doors of flavor for you. But don't imply that all commercial rubs are inferior to homemade blends. I have tried countless recipes and even varied them from time to time for many years, but I have never created anything I consider to be outstanding. Sometimes in competition you will find that some season the meat before applying a rub, or that they'll use a couple rubs to layer the flavors. We are all individuals with different tastes and likes.

Making rubs or buying rubs will always be a personal choice. Doing either does not make your "Q" better or worse. In the end, I am saying to open your mind to other things. I was set in my ways and my train of thought. I could have saved myself ten years of ordering, grinding, and mixing in an effort to try and achieve what was already available to me. Not only was it readily available, but it was much better than any recipe given or self-created.

Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to try something new once in a while. Think of it as treasure hunting, maybe you'll find something good or maybe you won't, but you'll never know unless you try.

Thanks for all the info! I’m going to check out the lower sugar and salt ones you mentioned.

With homemade vs premade rubs, I don’t see it as “either/or” but as “both/and.”

For pork, I make my own rub, that is a slight variation of a rub I saw on a BBQ Pit Boys video. It's been my "go to" for a while now.

Chicken, on the other hand........I've tried and tried, but just can't seem to come up with a rub that I like better than Plowboys Yardbird. I have stopped trying to beat it. It's pretty dang good.

I make 4 different ones.

One is a spicy and savory one that is 1 of 2 I use for ribs and pork shoulder,
The 2nd is a more traditional sweet one for the 2 of 2 on the pork stuff.
The 3rd is more of a southwest profile that I use on beef.
The 4th is what I put on chicken, and what my friends refer to as "crack chicken" - it's pretty salty, with a few special ingredients to give a really unique overtone.

Long story short, I haven't used premade rubs (or sauces) in like 7yrs. I spent a TON of time making what I wanted out of rubs and sauces so I just roll like that.

Back