Another KCBS/MMA Debacle

Hmmmm a BBQ sanctioning body must be real high on the list over in detroit

Isn't about Detroit. It's about the number of people of you are going to meet and greet along with the demographic. I think you'll find the BBQ group fits quite nicely into the demographic Detroit is looking for.

And loaning a truck to the KCBS doesn't cost "detroit" anything...

What does the truck have to do with it? If it able to pull it what is wrong with it? Do you expect them to purchase a fully loaded dually?

Several things:

1) A truck that is under powered may be dangerous.
2) This truck, if purchased by KCBS or MMA that is inappropriate for the load may incur damage therefore costing more money in the long run.
3) And if this truck is inappropriate for the load, it just shows that this whole thing was poorly planned and coordinated.

No, I am not saying that they should purchase a fully loaded dually!:roll:

Next question.

FYI.... this just in..

i asked a question.... what is KCBS' anticipated return on investment of this venture. ???

The answer.
The entire project is funded by the sponsors. KCBS has not invested $$ in it.
ok.. good, so we(members) are not footing the bill.

So next question..

Does KCBS consider their name and reputation an investment in this venture?

Thats still open.

FYI.... this just in..

i asked a question.... what is KCBS' anticipated return on investment of this venture.

The answer.

So next question..

Thats still open.

Good, in a way. The problem may be that since it is not their money, they may not be in control. Note: This is speculation.

I must have missed this, but when did the KCBS change its name to the KCGS meaning the Kansas City Grilling Society? I thought that they were about BBQ? Guess not.:roll: Note: This is not speculation, but fact. We try very hard on this forum to separate and understand the difference between the two. Why are they doing this. I believe the answer is my first point, the one that is speculation.

My final point here is that I am not impressed with the qualifications of the demonstrators. He was a Army and Food Service guy. Neither of which have that much to do with BBQ or memorable food. Certainly qualified as a cook, but no mention of BBQ or contests. Yes, I see that he is a master judge, so he does know what good BBQ is, but does he know how to do it. Maybe so but not a given.

Last edited:
FYI.... this just in..

So next question..

Thats still open.

That is the $64,000 question right there. I would be interested in seeing the answer to that one.

Phil, thanks for asking the "tough" questions!!

Thank you for posting the clarification, Sled.

I was with you, Mike. All I really hoped to do with my posts was suggest a few folks (not you necessarily) set aside the torches and pitchforks, step back, and take an unbiased look at what KCBS is trying to achieve with this demo rig.

Some seem to believe that MMA has no business promoting the KCBS. Obviously, the KCBS thinks otherwise.

Perhaps I should state I have a bittersweet opinion of consultants. From 1987-91, I was a radio dj at small market Missouri station. The station's owner thought it was in his best interests to hire a programming consultant from Florida. My air talent colleagues and I balked at the idea of someone who didn't know our market, coming in and changing the sound of "our" station.

In the next Arbitron ratings book, however, we claimed the number 2 spot in total listenership, and I was pulling in 98% of the 18-35 year olds demo. Why? Because the consultant gave our listeners what was popular, instead of what we music snobs deemed "quality" music. The sheep loved their hits. While I still bristled at having to submit to the cookie-cutter ideas of an out-of-towner, I had no trouble accepting my bonus check, and pay increase.

There are a lot of differing opinions on the best way to do something. Disagreement with the KCBS/MMA decisions was a given, regardless the direction they went. Last I checked, it was still an imperfect world.

Steve, I agree with you, let's give them a chance to make some changes and let's see how it turns out. If there is no improvement then I think we can discuss this again at a later time.

FYI.... this just in..

i asked a question.... what is KCBS' anticipated return on investment of this venture. ???

The answer.
ok.. good, so we(members) are not footing the bill.

So next question..

Thats still open.

That is the $64,000 question right there. I would be interested in seeing the answer to that one.

Phil, thanks for asking the "tough" questions!!

I talked with somebody "in the know" and said person confirmed what Phil has said. KCBS, outside of name only has not paid a thing. They have loaned their name for an MMA Tour. All monies are from the advertisers on the truck.
Said person also said that the original idea for this tour was watered down and is nothing of what it was meant to be. However the trailer is solid and well crafted. Some items they are aware need replacing and will be done. Items like and electric food holder to ensure the hamburgers and hotdogs stay warm. The cambros were not doing that.
KCBS still has their neck and reputation on the line. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

What really is in a name. What is it really worth. Can the KCBS really with stand another black eye.

They must be able to because no matter what you and I think they are doing it. That is not going to change. We can talk type till the keys fall off the key board and it wont make one bit of difference.

I just sayin.

Back