Another Holding Brisket Post - Anova Precision Oven

Dread Pirate Roberts

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
I did my overnight cook in my Char-Griller 980 Gravity. That went really well, although I kept waking up to check the app, as this was my first one. Held at 235 like a champ all night. This morning I wrapped it around 167 and cranked the heat up to 275-300 until probe tender (Side Note: I'm jealous of everyone that gets that right, as I never think I do - I'm afraid of overcooking I guess, but we will see this time). Then I wrapped in butcher paper and tallow, and want to do this extended hold.

The advantage of the Anova is the humidity control. I haven't been able to find much info on what people set Alto-Shaams and the like to. I did find this article though:

https://digitalcommons.fiu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1352&context=hospitalityreview

There is a graph in there showing the temperature and relative humidity you need to hold food at 140. However, the graph data doesn't seem to match with the text. So, I've just decided to set it at 150 degrees and 75% R.H., which is what the chart shows and see how this goes. If anyone has any advice on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

The Anova sounds interesting. What are people using for budget hold ovens? My gas-only oven won't go down that low.

The Anova sounds interesting. What are people using for budget hold ovens? My gas-only oven won't go down that low.

My first smoker from about 6 years ago was a Bradley Electric. I bought an Auber PID for it, and that's what I was using for a holding oven until the door and hinges all broke on me. I still have the PID, and was going to look for a used electric until I bought the Anova.

I think a lot of people use turkey roasters. The oven we just bought has a 150 degree mode for dehydrating as well. The article I referenced above said that 150 and no humidity isn't enough to keep the meat from going below 140 due to evaporative cooling, however. I guess that's why oven warming modes are typically around 170-180.

The Anova looks like an interesting option for finishing and holding. I can't wait to hear more about your experiences with it!

Will a brisket fit in the Anova oven?
From Anova website:
Interior Dimensions 16.9" x 12.4" x 10"

So it seems like all but the largest cooked briskets would fit, but too bad whole spares might not.

I really like Anova’s products and I’ve been very intrigued about that steam oven for a while. Aside from using it to hold meat, curious to hear your other thoughts on it.

I really like Anova’s products and I’ve been very intrigued about that steam oven for a while. Aside from using it to hold meat, curious to hear your other thoughts on it.

My friend who is a resto owner and bread maker got a couple and has been giving me the breakdown on it. He says there is definitely a learning curve to get the steam settings right but it's great to proof, bake and hold foods in. And the customer service is excellent.

So far, I like it a lot:

1. Sous vide without a bag is super convenient. You can put the temp probe in the meat, and this also lets you speed up your cooking by setting a higher oven temp and pulling the meat at your desired finishing temp.
2. It's great at reheating food. Yes, it takes longer than a microwave, but the results are much better IHMO
3. Heating options - Rear (which is the default for most recipes), top, bottom, top + rear, top + bottom. It'll get up to 480 degrees as well.
4. The app is pretty good. It's cloud based so you can monitor from anywhere, and has a decent amount of recipes that will do all the stages automatically.

I've used it for rice, bread, wings, chicken, and I'm pleased with the results. I do wish there was more information on setting the humidity, especially when cooking in non-sous vide mode (that's really just anything over 212 degrees). But it's a new product and I'm sure that's coming.

I held the brisket at 150, 75% humidity for 8 hours. I still think I had pulled it too early - the point was probe tender, but the point still wasn't quite there, I think. I'm always paranoid about overcooking and end up going the other way. The kids said it was really really good, so there is that. It was moist at unwrapping, but seemed to dry out quickly after cutting.

If you have any other questions about it, just let me know.

Pretty much agree with all your points. It's actually really good for sv steaks and super convenient when i have to step away and not sure when i'll be back. Finish with a quick sear on the skillet or otto wilde.

It's pretty nice for proofing dough (pizza) and as you mention reheating leftovers is great - i did this the 1s time last weekend with some leftover steak, rice and broccoli using their reheat recipe on the app (130F and can't remember the RH)

I try not to use it >400 as it can make the inside of the oven pretty dirty (chicken thighs), plus i got an off odor that i heard goes away after awhile but why bother as i prefer to sear other ways. For veggies it's not as good as i thought as they turned out way too mushy but admittedly have not tried to tweak the recipe.

All in all i like it a lot and good idea about brisket holding - have thought about that but just ended up using the cambro.

Back