THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roast Beast

is one Smokin' Farker
Posted on the contest's Facebook page:

"It is with much debate, analysis, and heartfelt consideration that Sparky and Tara announce that this year's November Smokin' Up the Saddle Club has been cancelled. We are hoping and praying that all the stars align so that we can have the event in the spring. We have put our hearts and souls into this event and we cherish every friendship and kindred BBQ spirit we have encountered. So don't count us out yet. We are trying to gain more fiscal and human resources who can commit to the work to make it a top notch competition. God bless and Happy Smokin'! We will stay in touch here regarding a spring contest at the same location."

GA Contests seem to be dropping like flies this year. Plus, others that mentioned that this may be their last year :sad:

That sucks. Seemed liked over the last 2yrs there were about 4-5 new ones that came up and really gave teams lots to choose from in GA. Maybe that was a part of the challenge of keeping them all going :sad:

It would appear that over-saturation of contests is an issue in some regions of the US.

KCBS claims that there are 750 BBQ teams in Georgia/Tennessee. If this is true, only a small fraction of that number are competing in any given month - just look at the team counts for contests. By continuing to sanction virtually all applicants, KCBS weakens existing events as well as making it more difficult for these new contests to succeed.

The piece of the puzzle that I believe KCBS is missing is because of the limitations of time off work and expense, teams have a finite number of events that they are willing to cook each year . Once they have filled their schedule to that point, the only way they can add a new contest to the list is by cutting one they have cooked in the past. Because of this, once a region meets the current level of demand, adding new events in that region is counterproductive.

Of course that is only my opinion, and one certainly not shared by the current KCBS BoD.

I'll miss this one. Great event. There talking about changing the date to in the spring, hopefully so.

I'm excited that there's a new one next year in Brunswick. At just over an hour away, it'll be the closest KCBS contest to us.

What's the event? Brunswick would be a great place for a comp, (As long as I'm not required to cook Brunswick stew - I just can't do it justice:evil:). I think the oldest restaurant?! there is Willie's Weenie Wagon, so you gotta believe Brunswick knows what good 'que is...

We already have this one on the calendar Chad!!! It is the end of our Spring Break, so we're going to rent a toy hauler and stay at a Campground down there on Tybee or St. Simons for the week, then head over for the competition. You have no idea how pumped we are for this event!!! :)

Sweet! We're excited too. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll be a successful first year contest so we can go back the following year.

Back