THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FatDad said:
Peace Brother !
I think that skillet just hit me upside the head.
Never intended my remark in a bad way.
Sorry about that.

It wasn't taken in a bad way. I was just funnin' with you.

LET IT BE KNOWN HERE AND NOW TO ALL FELLOW BRETHREN: TexasGuppie has a VERY dry sense of humor. I will NEVER criticize ANYONE publicly on this forum OR in any private arena.

ALL of the info I get here is very valuable to a "rookie" like me and for my sense of humor to get in the way of that would be foolish!

Ken

willkat98 said:
My cast iron pot is still (new) gray.

I wish it were black.

Maybe I should use it more.h
I got a brand new one a few weeks back. Put it on the stove and cranked the heat up til it was almost white hot. Placed in some butter, and veggie oil.
Packed a couple of ribeyes with Pauls redfish magic and blackened the daylights out of em.
Two or three steaks later, this skillet looks as if it has been in use for years.

DSC00369.jpg

my grandmother just gave me a deep cast iron skillet and slef basting lid that she has had since she was 16, wich makes it 72 years old. she gave me a skillet similar to the one above which belonged to my great grandmother.. several years back.. i love my cast iron. i just bought a 14" camp oven and a 12" dutch oven. im lookin forward to learning how to cook with them.

I'm tellin ya' If you like cast iron skillets, you'd love the hell out of one of these.

potjiepot2.jpg

bbqjoe said:
I'm tellin ya' If you like cast iron skillets, you'd love the hell out of one of these.

potjiepot2.jpg

do u cook with it as u would a dutch oven with coals on top and bottom? or hang it over the coals on a tripod?

The beauty of the "potjie" pronounced "porkie" is that very little fuel is required after the initial heating. Most of the heat is off to the side, indirectley as it were. There are a whole buch of recipies for the use of these. They are great for BBQ left overs. Chunks of meat with veggies and onions and spices, cooked in beer or wine whatever.
Google potjie recipes.

Back