Anniversary Dinner

hammb

Full Fledged Farker
Yesterday was my wife & I's 2nd anniversary. We couldn't find a sitter really for any day this week to go out to a nice dinner, so I thought I'd cook up something special on the night of our anniversary.

We honeymooned for a couple weeks in Hawaii, and anybody who's ever been there knows that fish and rice in some form or another is found at pretty much any restaurant. So I thought I'd make a meal to remind us of the islands.

IMG_20160628_190110394.jpg

I was going to go with a more Hawaiian fish like ahi, but my father in law was in Alaska last year and gave us some beautiful halibut. When you're in Ohio you go with what you have...so grilled halibut it was. With cilantro lime rice and a salsa of avocado, mango, and habanero.

I love the fruit salsas with habanero...the fruit cools off the heat of the chile, and the flavors are awesome with good fish.

IMG_20160628_200410370.jpg

For dessert Lilikoi (Hawaiian passionfruit) creme brulee. Our final all out splurge dinner at the islands was at a nice restaurant and this was on the dessert menu. Unfortunately it was sold out before we made it to dessert, so we didn't get the dish we had been looking forward to. Luckily it's not too difficult to make at home.

We also had a bottle of pineapple wine that we brought back with us. We saved it for our 1st anniversary, but since she was pregnant last year we saved it for our 2nd anniversary. We probably drank 6-7 bottles of this stuff on the islands, and it tasted as good now as it did there.

All in all a great anniversary, and a great meal. Definitely reminiscent of being on the islands. Mostly I just had to post this because I don't think I've ever gotten such gorgeous grill marks on a piece of fish before ;)

Looks like you really out did yourself on that cook. Outstanding. I am sure your wife fully enjoyed that me. Congrats on your anniversary.

Thanks guys. The wife definitely enjoyed the meal, as did I.

I used the standard Kettle grate for those grill marks, but I lubricated the grill with coconut oil, which was a first for me. It flared up something crazy when I was rubbing it on, but the resulting grill marks were top notch.

I will be keeping that in mind when I do some steaks.

Back