American Royal Questions

I going to do it!

I am going to enter, but I have more questions.

First off the application form for this contest SUCKS. Tried three times to fill it out Made mistakes and required that I hit the back button, only to find out it removes all of your info. First time was I forgot to say no to the sausage category, then it was I didn’t put a space #, then after I added the spot #’s, I did it told me my numbers where not valid. Little frustrated. Will try to call someone tomorrow.

Here are my questions

I see 502 teams have signed up so far, how many team can enter? Do I need to sign up ASAP or do I have 10 days or so to figure things out?

The application is asking me to pick three spots. Like I have a clue! Where do I want to be? What space #? I will need power (pellet grills) and I see where they mention I might need a power cord of 150ft. I would rather not have this spot. I am thinking on going with an “A” space (20x25) and get a hotel or I can rent a bigger spot and try and get a RV to rent. Once I make a selection can I change it?

What are the bales of hay for?

Should I purchase the ice ahead of time?

Do teams get together and purchase trash bins and toilets?

I plan on flying in on Wednesday the 28th and leaving on Monday the 3rd. What else should I do while in Kansas City or will I be spending all my time at the event?

Do you recommend entering the side categories? How many teams enter these extra categories? Wish they had a salmon one!

Can you sell hats, and spices out of your area? Not going to fly enough of these stuff down to need a separate vending booth. Think some Alaska items might sell good.

Since the decision has been made please tell me what to expect and what I should bring or do, to make the best of this event.

No side dish will contain more than 7.5% meat or fish products. Is this by weight? How do they determine this? For example I have bacon in my beans. Do I need to prove that I only 7.5 % bacon in my beans?

You may turn in either six (6) separate portions or one large portion with enough for six judges. Your entry must fit into the Styrofoam container provided with the lid closed. So is the container the same size as the ones used for the meats? Can I put my items in ramekins? If not, how does one display beans?

Last edited:
If you can, stay away from the C lot. That is party central. Just pick some A, B, D spaces and indicate that you don't want to be in C lot. You still could get placed there, but the sooner you apply, the better chance you have.

A toilet is always a good option, but keep a lock on it or the general public will use it. Trash bins aren't necessary. We never get them. The hay bales aren't necessary. If you are on in the C lot, you may want to construct a fence to keep the public out of your space. The orange temporary construction fencing that comes in a roll from Home Depot is cheap and works well.

Hit the BBQ joints while in town and hit the BBQ supply stores: Smoke N Fire, KC BBQ Store, Backyard Bash, BBQ Fans, etc. WWI memorial is the only federal memorial to WWI in the country. It is downtown. Plaza and Power & Light district are good for night life, shopping, etc.

Us locals will help you out with planning and supplies as you get closer.

What do you cook on?

Date:08/08/2011Confirmation Number:5958837

It is a done deal.

Flying in from Alaska so I will not be bringing many items with me, so I will need to rent/borrow/barter. Bringing down some copper river reds!

I am asking the GMG dealer to assist in finding me a grill or two. I am a dealer in Alaska, so hopefully he can hook me up.

Will need a tent or two, two or three tables, 6 chairs. I am sure as we get closer everything will fall in place. Once I get my spot # I will post it. It would be great to meet a few of you Brethren.

Staying at the Residence Inn, not renting an RV. Using points for the hotel is saving me $650+ so I can use this money to purchase food. So if you have the must hit spots for food, please post them here or email me

troy
alaskabbqsupply@gmail.com

Last edited:
Spot 034

Looks like I have spot 034.

So what can you tell me about this area? Looks like I am in Lot D next to the competitor’s parking lot. Also looks like we are far enough out of the way we might not have the traffic to deal with.

So where is the turn-in area? Any idea on how long it might take to get to it?

Thanks

Troy

So what can you tell me about this area? Looks like I am in Lot D next to the competitor’s parking lot. Also looks like we are far enough out of the way we might not have the traffic to deal with.

Thanks

Troy
How did you find out your space assigment? keith

Date:08/08/2011Confirmation Number:5958837

It is a done deal.

Flying in from Alaska so I will not be bringing many items with me, so I will need to rent/borrow/barter. Bringing down some copper river reds!

I am asking the GMG dealer to assist in finding me a grill or two. I am a dealer in Alaska, so hopefully he can hook me up.

Will need a tent or two, two or three tables, 6 chairs. I am sure as we get closer everything will fall in place. Once I get my spot # I will post it. It would be great to meet a few of you Brethren.

Staying at the Residence Inn, not renting an RV. Using points for the hotel is saving me $650+ so I can use this money to purchase food. So if you have the must hit spots for food, please post them here or email me

troy
alaskabbqsupply@gmail.com

I can get you an extra EZ-UP. And have other "stuff". PM me.

Thanks

Troy

The bad news is that it is a very healthy walk to turn ins. We were in 076 last year and we budgeted 7 minutes for the walk. It is a great lot tho. When we go back, we will try to be in that lot. We really liked it. Good luck on getting everything together. We are GMG dealers from Florida and the local GMG guys were very good to work with.

I will be down there camped out fro thurs-Sunday and will have my trailer there but I am not cooking. I will be there in the OBR tent...let me know what you need and I will see what I have or can find.

Ok, I have the days off to go to the American Royal.

So it is worth going to? Sounds like alot of teams.

I would need to borrow, rent or barter tents, tables and other items.

Lots of hotel space around the area? Think anything is availble?

Looking for Helpful hints.

Troy

I would say the positive of being in lot D is you shouldn't have the majority of the Friday night and Saturday night crowds wandering around.
The down side will be the walk to turn ins. Time it out before hand for sure! Hope you will have a runner as this could be up to a 13-15 minute round trip walk.

We were in lot 267 last year and hope to get it again this year. Not too bad of a walk to turn-ins but close enough to a few corporate parties, especially the one handing out the free bloody mary's all night!! Had a great view of the fireworks too!

Scott

Friday night is the big party. Saturday night and Sunday are much quieter. Plan on extra time for the open turn in because the turn in area/table gets backed up. It may take 5 + minutes to get into and out of the area.

Back