Allergic to Sugar.

Does your uncle have any adverse reactions to beer/stout, Sea Dog?
Yeah...he's a deacon in my own S. Baptist church. The earth may open up and swallow him. ROFL! Then again, I'm S. Baptist too and that never stopped me from enjoying a few cold ones.

Actually beer has sugar in it too I think. But thanks for the suggestion!

:grin:

Being a newbie.... does the sugar just give the rub a sweet taste? or does it serve to make a crispy coating? i have never used sugar, being that i use a citrus marinade for my ribs. i want to try a dry rub, just interested in knowing what the sugar provides?

It looks like you have had some good ideas so far....

I can relate, because I am allergic to, ready for this.... pork. :eek: YES...PORK, like in pig.....

I can handle it while prepping, cooking, pulling, etc... but I HAVE to wear gloves, and as soon as I am done, I have to wash up pasted my elbows or anywhere the pork may have touched me. If I get it to my mouth, I am in MAJOR trouble.... almost instant migraine.... for days....

It took me probably around 4 yrs to learn what to look for, and ask when ever we go out shopping or go out to eat. Going out to eat has got to be the worst challenge. Almost every place cooks everything on the same griddles, etc... and the same cooking utensils.

If in doubt, ask, and you will get the answer you need, if in doubt, don't use it. Like it already has been mentioned, use a blend of spices and just leave the sugar out. Allergies are nothing to play with and experiment wondering if something will work.
Good gracious! Man, I hate this for ya. I guess you are ok bbqing beef though. I'm not a purist though. I love both pork and beef. Mom is severely allergic to shellfish and just a tiny bit (one shrimp) would put her in the hospital.

But yeah, my uncle has a strong allergic reaction to any kind of sugar and cant eat foods or drinks with any sugar in it.

Being a newbie.... does the sugar just give the rub a sweet taste? or does it serve to make a crispy coating? i have never used sugar, being that i use a citrus marinade for my ribs. i want to try a dry rub, just interested in knowing what the sugar provides?

The first thing it does is start absorbing into the meat causing it to sweeten. If it can it will absorb fully into the meat while it cooks, but for some thick coatings of rub, it will be blocked fromo doing that. As it cooks though, some sugar may remain on the outside, and some of the sweetened juices will drip out. These will thicken and carmelize which is a factor in what makes the bark crunchy.

Back