All Star BBQ Showdown Finale

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: All Star BBQ Showdown Finale

Do you really want to know? It will be re-run all week...

If you really want to know, scroll down...

Spoiler below...

Squeal of Approval, the all female amateur team.

Mike Davis was putting margarine on his ribs. Many cooks use that squeeze margarine on their food, but since we didn't have any of that Mike was improvising with stick margarine and a zip loc bag with the corner cut off.

I made that rub recipe up at home, and tried it on some chicken. It was really good, so I decided to use it on the show. I used it on my brisket in Texas, it was really good and I won.
I then used it on my chicken and turkey in Memphis, it was good and I won again.
So going to NY, I never thought twice about what rub I was going to use. When I put it on the ribs, and topped them with a butter/barbecue sauce the cinnamon came on way too strong. I didn't really realize it until the judges said it. When I went back and tasted one, I had to say they were right.
It was a mistake on my part to assume that the rub woud be good on ribs without trying it.

It sucks that it happened, and I wish I would have realized what I did, but you need to understand the state we were in. It was a long grueling day in brutal heat and rain on the streets of New York, along with the pressure of doing the TV show stuff before we cooked. The girls, Mike and the En Fuego guys were flat wore out in the morning. Chris Lilly is a smart, and evil man.

did i hear someone say mayo on ribs. i use that on pulled pork sometimes, but i didnt think anyone else did, let alone in competition. can anyone shed more light on this practice? thanks.
phil

I've seen it used on brisket for sure.

Ray, thanks for the correction - I wondered why he was using a zip lock. Thought maybe is was a brand infringement of something. :D

Great insight, Ray! Thanks for that! I know a few on here also use squeeze butter on their food. I'm gathering that it's merely for the "shine", right? I was just in awe that you immediately knew where you went wrong as soon as the judge commented on the flavor!

So my question is this, Ray... do you think it was too much cinnamon or do you believe that cinnamon and pork just clash? I've been using it in my rib and butt rub but out of about a three cup batch, I only use 1/4 teaspoon of it. A little definitely goes a hell of a long ways!

The ribs were actually pretty good, at home they would have been gobbled up. But we were cooking for $25k, and the cinnamon was definetly out of balance and the dominant taste. Ribs are a sweet meat, so it might have been better on a pork butt.

Chris and I were talking about it later, and he seemed to think that incorporating butter would amplify the cinnamon. Could be that too, or probably a combination of these things.

Thanks for the info, Ray... Interesting thought on the cinnamon and butter. I've been using a wet rub for ribs lately that uses butter for the moisture, and it originally had 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and I thought it was too much. Maybe it was the butter that brought it out.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: All Star BBQ Showdown Finale

drbbq said:
The ribs were actually pretty good, at home they would have been gobbled up. But we were cooking for $25k, and the cinnamon was definetly out of balance and the dominant taste. Ribs are a sweet meat, so it might have been better on a pork butt.

Chris and I were talking about it later, and he seemed to think that incorporating butter would amplify the cinnamon. Could be that too, or probably a combination of these things.

"Pretty good"?? :lol: I'm sure they could have won any number of contests and were more than "pretty good"! :wink:

But that is an interesting thought... the butter bringing out the cinnamon. I'll have to watch that!

Back