Advice on a new cutlery set?

Couple of things about Knives. Don't ever buy a set. Most people only use 2 or 3 knives consistently. With a set, you will likely buy at least one knife you will not often use. Second, never use the butcher block. Each time you slide that knife into the wood, it dulls the blade. Go with a magnetic strip or cloth container like shown in a couple of those sets above.

As for me, I have five Shun Knives, but really only need three. All of them were gifts. They were about the only thing I registered for when I got married. The rest was crap my wife picked out. I have a 10 inch chef, a 7 inch Santoku, and a serrated tomato knife. These three I use all the time. I also have a utility knife the exact same dimensions as the tomato knife but not serrated (And thus I don't really need it) and a paring knife that I rarely use.

I couldn't be happier with the knives. The handles are not symmetrical which is good because neither is my grip. The blades hold their sharpness for a very long time.

Shuns sometimes show up at Marshall's for half price.

a good Chefs knife, Flexible boning, and a pairing knife is all I use. sometimes a 10" slicer... sometimes.

I have some Mundial knives and I really like them.

You mi9ght want to consider going here and just picking out the pieces you need.

Back