Advice needed, sponsor suggests name change...what to do???

If I were in your shoes and someone told me they would sponsor me if I changes my name to benefit their business and more associate them with competition bbq I think 1) They would have to be willing to pay a major 60-70% of all expenses for a minimum of however many comps I wanted to do. 2) I get all winnings and they get the exposure. 3) I still reserve the right to have other non conflicting sponsors 4) They don't get any of my competition/cooking info recipes etc.

I would agree to do some PR work for the sponsors product. For me I only get to do about 3-5 competitions per year but would love to do 1 per month. So if I could get $6000 annual sponsorship $500 per comp, you can name my team. :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
I'm looking at this from a different angle, let him set up the team and you join his team as the pit master. Let him pay for the meats, rubs, supplies, fees and everything

From what it sounds like are both local guys that are looking to expand in the local market. If I understand the situation correctly he is a small local butcher and you don't even compete on a regional level. Let him pay and go have fun as a team member!

If you think about it that worst thing that might happen HIS team doesn't succeed or you don't think you can work together as a team you can always go back to competing with YOUR team with no damage done to your existing brand. Best case scenario you find out you are a compatible team and you blow up win a few contests and the catering biz takes off like a rocket. You are part of it. As you said the more you do it the better you will get. Then even if you go back to competing under your original flag the local people will know you and your own brand benefits.

I wish I would have had someone to pay the bills when I started

Pat - I think you need to clearly define what his "help" will be at the contests... Seems that this can easily become him wanting to do a lot of the cooking and decision making...

Him buying the pit may sound nice, but what happens if he wants to use the pit on a weekend you have a contest or there is a catering gig that same weekend, or he ultimately decides he doesn't need you to cook and do the catering ?

I know you noted he is a good friend, but from what you've shared, I don't see enough here to warrant chaning your team name, adding a member that may want a big piece of the action (and what about the $$ winnings ?) in exchange for use of a pit and catering which you'll likely be able to do on your own with some more time and saving.

Good luck !!

Here's part of the key question to me: Currently, if you win any prize money, what happens to it? If you go the new team route with a new name and him buying a cooker, what would happen to any winnings? Would the answer to that bother you?

I think only you can make the decision that's best for you, but if he forms a team with you and you get training and/or a paying job out of it on top, is that worth it? If you team up and he learns all of your techniques, what's that worth? Championship classes range in the $500-$750 area from what I've seen. He floats the bill for one competition, and I think he's payed enough to take a class from you on how you cook, but that's my analytical brain thinking. Prize money is the key.

dmp

I wouldnt change the team name that people know you by. You can have him fly a banner with his shop, and that he is the main sponsor of your team. If he had all the money to buy a pit, pay for comps, etc, then he should just start a new team, and comps that you are not entered in, you could help on. Once the team name changes, what else might change in the future? You could end up butting heads and losing a sponsor. Just my 2 cents.

All that I can offer is that you should ask yourself one extremely important question: "Why am I competing?"

An honest answer to that question should make it apparent to you whether or not any sponsorship/partnership/name change should be undertaken based on how that will better fulfill your purpose.
To answer your question tim, I compete because I love it. I love seeing all the brethren, just being there is exciting.

Geeez! It wasn't my question. I said to ask yourself that question! :becky:

Does sponsorship allow you to do more competitions and thereby bring more love? As for just being there and seeing all of the Brethren, you can do that without actually competing. And you can even just do it at the comps where it isn't raining like back in Noah's day!

Gives me a chance to cook cuts of meat that I honestly can't justify cooking year round.

Really? What cuts can't you justify cooking year round?

Chicken?

So you only cook ribs at a competition?

I thought chicken and ribs were the backbone of just about any summer BBQ party.

A pork butt? OK a twin cryo may be more than you want for a meal but you can always cook and freeze, and it is simple enough to do for a party plus it is some good inexpensive eats.

Brisket? Maybe the largest of the choices, but again you can cook and freeze or do for a party.

Having a Butcher, and a local business who may be willing to help with the purchase of equipment and store said equipment comes in real handy. We have never been off the Island as far as contests go. If we placed in the Sam's club series we'd consider traveling.

OK, if it is about the money and the desire to compete bigger and more then considering making concessions like name changes may be worthwhile.

Just ask yourself that will add to why you compete.

Will that make you love it more?

Will you love seeing the Brethren more?

Will you get more excitment out of it?

If the answers are all "YES," then what you should do seems rather obvious.

If not, then tread carefully.

For me, in my situation, the answer would be clear. We compete as a family for the fun and the closeness that it brings us. Spending a minimum of 36 straight hours together with my son, my brother, and my niece gives us quality time that is often hard to find these days. Our wives are there part of the time too. It is all about having a good time. I don't need anyone outside of the family having expectations of us. One look at the advertisements on our malevolent sponsors' banner pretty much tells you all you need to know about why we're there.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it a lot. This hasn't been an easy decision for me.

As far as winnings go. I pay the entry fees. I've asked that we follow how we've been doing it from the beginning. If we win any money, First we cover all of our expenses, comp entry fees, beer, booze, rub, sauce, charcoal, meat. Than whoever cooked as part of the main team gets to evenly split the prize pool, or decide to roll it back into the team to buy new equipment.

Now as far as commercial smokers go that can be used in comps, and in a restaurant setting, is the FEC my best bet?

You are going from sponsorship to partnership and there is a big difference. Partnerships work if all parties involved know their roles and limits, clearly defining who does what and who owns what will make a big difference as to your success.Be clear on what you expect and always have an exit plan in place. Good luck !

I agree with Gary, have everything in place before you light the fire. I know my sponsors are real reasonable however they just need to know what to expect in advance and don't like suprises in the end.

Good luck

You mention that you got into Comp Q'ing because it's fun and you enjoy the friendships. One thing that I've learned over and over is that you find a hobby that's a lot of fun and you enjoy doing it. All of a sudden it ramps up to a full blown job and it's no longer fun anymore but you're stuck in it and you quickly grow to hate it.

I've walked away from two or three hobbies-turned-job situations that were EXACTLY what you're describing. You need to be sure that this is the direction you want to go.

Russ

Back