Additional fees for basic electricity?

I pay extra for larger spaces all the time, and sometimes will spring for dedicated power. The thing is, if the organizers charge for it, it had damn well better work. We ran on the "free" 15 amps at Pork in the Park, but it kept dropping under 99 volts. The team next to us paid extra for 30 amps, and had the same problem. I would have asked for a refund if I had paid extra for that. Low voltage will damage some electric motors - like the compressor in your AC unit. There simply was too much power being drawn for the distribution network or generator to keep up.

If you have refrigerators or coffee makers or AC units in your set up, get a meter that plugs into the line and shows how much you are drawing. We were fine at OOB sharing a circuit with 4 teams until the Sunday morning coffee makers fired up. It also comes in handy when people accuse you of drawing more power than you actually are. (I have a large RV, but if the AC isn't running it draws very little as I run the fridge off propane at most contests.)

I always run my cookers from an inverter with a battery back up. You just don't know.

Setting up next to Stubborn Bull with their 30 amp service is also a good strategy :clap:

Back