Added the Weber Ranch Kettle to the stable

I think about a Ranch once in a while, but I'm not there yet. Right now, I'm lusting over a 26" kettle. Baby steps.

This replace my need/want for a Caja China box (Cajun microwave). I just need to get a spit jack set up or something so I can roast whole sheets of pork belly over the RK.

I still can’t believe the kettle laid unclaimed for weeks in the buy/sell section from brethren Demosthenes9. So I bit. I said I’ll buy it if it was still available mid Feb and it was! Just a 7 hour drive north of Atlanta. Road trip, anyone?

I changed positions at my job so I’m moving back to a 9-5, M-F schedule, which I loathe. Last weekend was my last one that included weekdays so I took the opportunity to grab the kettle. Wife wanted to come along so we dragged the kids along too. Left Atlanta at 11pm on Wednesday night and arrived in Louisville around 7am. Had a pit stop for a chicken and cheese crispito somewhere near Manchester, TN. At 3 am, it was damn good.

Wife said I was crazy to spend this amount of money on a grill. But she thinks I can get the same kind at Walmart. So I said fine, buy your purses at Walmart too. I haven’t heard anything since.

Just got the vortex in today. The medium barely cleared the grates.

This replace my need/want for a Caja China box (Cajun microwave). I just need to get a spit jack set up or something so I can roast whole sheets of pork belly over the RK.

I'm glad it all worked out and that you like the RK. I had some tire kickers nosing around. Even had one guy who really wanted it, but wanted me to meet him half way between Louisville and Nashville. Seems that 3 hours each way was just too far.

I love that you had the entire family packed in the van. That was just classic awesomeness. Most guys seem to have to convince their wives to get approval to purchase something like this and to make a road trip by themselves. Your wife just jumped right in and was along for the ride. Even did some of the driving IIRC. Again, awesomeness !!

I too await seeing some cooks on this beast. Love the idea of adding a roti to it. I might have to look into that myself. I know someone that has the capabilities for rolling metal/steel. Not sure that they'd be able to put a rolled or bent lip on it though for the structural support and to line up with the lip of the lid or bowl. Will have to look into it. That or just skip the ring and get a free standing roti set up that can be put in place.

I too await seeing some cooks on this beast. Love the idea of adding a roti to it. I might have to look into that myself. I know someone that has the capabilities for rolling metal/steel. Not sure that they'd be able to put a rolled or bent lip on it though for the structural support and to line up with the lip of the lid or bowl. Will have to look into it. That or just skip the ring and get a free standing roti set up that can be put in place.
My ring is made from a damaged road sign and is far from air tight. I put 3/4" slices of AL tubing on the inside of the lower set of bolts holding the pieces together. The tubing pieces sit on the rim of the kettle.
picture.php

Congrats! You will love that cooker! I don't use mine all the time, but when I do use it, it comes in super handy. Very versatile and obviously capacity is a big plus.

I've used the medium vortex on mine, but found that it doesn't really burn long enough to get a large batch of wings all the way done, so I got a large. The grate kinda sits on it a little - not too crazy though - and it gets the job done.

One thing about those big grills is the big fires - it gets farking hot! Reaching across the grate can be quite a thing as well.

My ring is made from a damaged road sign and is far from air tight. I put 3/4" slices of AL tubing on the inside of the lower set of bolts holding the pieces together. The tubing pieces sit on the rim of the kettle.
picture.php
Nice. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have no need for one of those at all, but I still want one. Y'know...just in case a crowd comes over. Love 'em.

The Ranch is the best Weber grill. You don’t need to be grilling for a huge crowd to benefit from the size. A small fire on one side gives you the best direct/indirect cooker in the kettle world.

We use ours often for “crowds” of 10 or fewer, and also for 20+.

The Ranch is the best Weber grill. You don’t need to be grilling for a huge crowd to benefit from the size. A small fire on one side gives you the best direct/indirect cooker in the kettle world.

We use ours often for “crowds” of 10 or fewer, and also for 20+.

Cooking for a minimum of 9 people each day, I have often wondered if the Ranch would be overkill. How many chimneys of charcoal does it require just to bring it up to temp as a nice 2 zone cooker? What’s the cleanup like compared to my 26.75 kettle? The 26.75 does meet my daily needs more often than not... but there are definitely times where it takes more than one round, especially if we have another family or two over.

Back