Accidental Best Tri-tip yet

Brontoburger

Full Fledged Farker
So we had a nice-looking Angus tri-tip from a local grass-fed steer that we bought into. While the WSM heated up I trimmed the small amount of fat and rubbed the meat down with Oakridge Santa Maria seasoning. I used the remainder of a couple of already open bags of KBB and Royal Oak. Mostly Kingsford. Ran the WSM without the water pan. Put the Tri-tip on at around 325. I tried to get the temp higher, but it stayed in the low-mid 300's. I'm pretty sure the Kingsford had absorbed some moisture since it was opened, and didn't burn as hot as I needed. IT read 125 after around 40 minutes, but there was no hint of a sear or browning to the outside. I pulled off the center section of the smoker and set it aside, and set the rack directly on the charcoal ring. So I guess I did an unintended reverse sear. 5 minutes each side and it looked real good. Pulled it off and let it rest. Rested and sliced-it was AWESOME! I really like the Santa Maria, even though I had thought that the garlic was a bit much. I was wrong. This was only my second tri-tip.:dancer:

Back