About to buy a Big Green Egg: Questions and Thoughts?

Thank you!

Do the prices I quoted sound in the ballpark of what others around the US are getting them for?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure my Large cost about $1500 with the nest, a couple accessories and delivery, so for me you're getting a good price on that XL. :laugh::laugh:

I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure my Large cost about $1500 with the nest, a couple accessories and delivery, so for me you're getting a good price on that XL. :laugh::laugh:

Ok..thanks!!

I'm starting to think my price is decent from what I'm seeing about.
I just hate to pay the high NOLA taxes (actually this is in Metairie just outside NOLA proper)....which is close to 9%. We had tax free weekend which alleviated the state tax...wish I'd bought it then.

I kinda hate that the BGE isn't available online, I'd like to avoid that tax all together, but oh well...gotta pay the man some times!!
;)

I'm just now looking at the Primo website and watching videos....they have a dealership here too not far from my BGE place..I might run and check it out.

cayenne

Definitely get the Large. If you need more cooking space you can grab an adjustable rig or just get some bolts and add an extra rack. Lots of pics on the BGE forums for DIY extra racks.

Not to talk you off the Egg ledge (especially since I have an BGE XL and love it), but I was at Costco this last weekend and they were running a Kamado display selling larges and XL's. The XL's were $1200 with about every accessory you would need to get rolling (plate setter, side racks, extending racks, etc). Below is a link to a similar setup. I actually talked to the rep who was super nice and told him for that price it is a better deal than most BGE's I've seen.

So not sure if you have a Costco near by or when the promotion runs at different locations, but might be something to check out. I also like the Kamado hinges better too :-D.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153370868766677&set=gm.915405911826427&type=1&theater

Here in North Alabama, the KJ's are always less expensive than the Eggs, and the KJ's come with the accessories. I am a little surprised to see it cost more than the Egg. I would buy either of them with confidence.

I don't know about that dude. I have a kettle and while I still use and love it, it's not doing anything better than the egg. No matter how good you are. And even though I don't have experience with the WSM, I've never heard anyone other than ceramic owners say they're getting multiple long smokes on just one load of charcoal.

Go for it. I believe it when they say the XL needs two people. The large is heavy as hell.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's excitement to buy a new toy. I've cooked on all of them and I guess the BGE just isn't for me. I was just trying to give a much cheaper option.

Hmm

Not to talk you off the Egg ledge (especially since I have an BGE XL and love it), but I was at Costco this last weekend and they were running a Kamado display selling larges and XL's. The XL's were $1200 with about every accessory you would need to get rolling (plate setter, side racks, extending racks, etc). Below is a link to a similar setup. I actually talked to the rep who was super nice and told him for that price it is a better deal than most BGE's I've seen.

So not sure if you have a Costco near by or when the promotion runs at different locations, but might be something to check out. I also like the Kamado hinges better too :-D.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153370868766677&set=gm.915405911826427&type=1&theater

We do FINALLY have a Costco here in New Orleans. My last times out recently I've not seen any ceramic cookers. BUT...I may make a run out tomorrow to check before I do make my final choice.

At this point, it appears to be a XL BGE...but I'm gonna sleep on it overnight and put my money on something tomorrow in order to have a weekend fun ride cooking!!!
:)

Again, I can't thank everyone enough for all the help and input on this!!

cayenne

I have the Primo XL and love it, I think I paid around $1400 for XL and table a few years back. I know Kamado Joe has just introduced a rotisserie option if that something your interested in. I would also check out the kamadoguru.com forum, there a lot of good info about ceramics over there.

I have the BGE XL and love it! Getting ready to get another for the Lakehouse.

The extra room is great for ribs and shisk ke bobs.

Fuel consumption is not an issue. Choke it down when finished cooking and re use the un burned lump. A bag lasts a long time!

I have the kamado joe not the BGE, but I originally bought a large kamado then promptly sold that one and bought me the Big Joe which would be the XL BGE.

My vote is XL all the way :heh:

Snagged it...

I have the BGE XL and love it! Getting ready to get another for the Lakehouse.

The extra room is great for ribs and shisk ke bobs.

Fuel consumption is not an issue. Choke it down when finished cooking and re use the un burned lump. A bag lasts a long time!

I dropped the hammer yesterday on the BGE XL.....should be delivered this afternoon.

I'll start to put it together this evening, and will try to find a friend that can help me maybe tomorrow pick up the big thing and put it into the nest.

By the way, do you need to do a special "burn in" or anything before first use right after you assemble it?

Any "gotchas" I need to be on the lookout for when assembling it?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Back