A taste of the Islands.

Badgerjacob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Brian
I love live fire cooking and get inspiration from costal food travel destinations. I grill and smoke whole fish, shrimp, lobster, octopus, squid. Always looking for new ideas as well? Jerk is one of my favorite spices for this style of cooking. Anyone here have a tastebud of the islands? Jerk is my absolute favorite for this style of cooking. What do you got?

I dont do whole lot of fish but do shrimp often. I use jerk sometimes and other times I do a lot of lime, coconut, pineapple type seasonings and marinades. A go to we have is mojito lime marinade with some coconut water on chicken or shrimp topped with fresh mango salsa. Makes for great tacos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been doing a fair amount of chickens on the santa maria. Spatchcocked then rubbed with a paste made primarily from better than bullion and grated garlic. and each time I have done a different "flavor" either by including different spice mixtures and/fruit purees. I haven't done jerk seasoning, but I'm sure it would work.

Since Nellie is from Jamaica when we do jerk she makes the marinade.
Here's the ingredients.
vhh7Lbj.jpg

We had a member called phrasty who was from the islands. He has not posted in almost 2 yrs. He had some great posts- do a search and see what’s there

From a jerk rib post I did 2 1/2 years ago.

Well Nellie made up some of her top secret “Jerk Marinade”
6T vegetable oil- ¼ C fresh lime juice- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped- 4 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded, coarsely chopped- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped- 2T fresh thyme- 1t minced peeled fresh ginger- 1T packed dark brown sugar- 2t allspice berries- 1t kosher salt- 1/4t ground black pepper- 2T white vinegar
Puree 4T oil and the next 10 ingredients until smooth
Take 1/4C and wisk in a small bowl with balance of oil and vinegar plus more salt to taste and refrigerate for glaze later

Big thanks. I will give it a try.

From a jerk rib post I did 2 1/2 years ago.

Well Nellie made up some of her top secret “Jerk Marinade”
6T vegetable oil- ¼ C fresh lime juice- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped- 4 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded, coarsely chopped- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped- 2T fresh thyme- 1t minced peeled fresh ginger- 1T packed dark brown sugar- 2t allspice berries- 1t kosher salt- 1/4t ground black pepper- 2T white vinegar
Puree 4T oil and the next 10 ingredients until smooth
Take 1/4C and wisk in a small bowl with balance of oil and vinegar plus more salt to taste and refrigerate for glaze later

Back