A Road to kcbs cook out.

Thanks Mr Squatter... I had absolutely no clue! :becky:

That's the mother load of all burgers in MI! Great work Derek
Well they're a ;ot better looking now and Thank you MS, That was very cool to say.

See you guys later, I'm off to dream land for a lil while.

nite n ite Derek, It was nice to meet you and your brother.

We had a great time at this third annual event.
GLBBQA does a great job with this thing!
Congrats to all who walked.:clap2:

Glad you had a great time and learned a few things Derek. Marci and I enjoyed meeting you and your brother and look forward to seeing you again at another event. Maybe next year we will be cooking up there instead of judging again.

ok.. i cant get past this one.

Chicken to 239.?

Derek.,. Your thermometer HAS to be off. i would think that a chicken thigh cooked to 239 internal whould turn to a hockey puck. In this photo the chicken actually looks a little UNDER target doneness(since its not pulling clean from bone).

846589033_uW4r3-L.jpg

No razzing intended here.. but if your thermo really read 239, I would run it thru a high/low calibration. Maybe it was 139? Even thats low for dark meat, even after resting which may bring it around 145, but then it may look like the picture.

ok.. i cant get past this one.

Chicken to 239.?

Derek.,. Your thermometer HAS to be off. i would think that a chicken thigh cooked to 239 internal whould turn to a hockey puck. In this photo the chicken actually looks a little UNDER target doneness(since its not pulling clean from bone).

846589033_uW4r3-L.jpg

No razzing intended here.. but if your thermo really read 239, I would run it thru a high/low calibration. Maybe it was 139? Even thats a little low for dark meat and even after resting which may bring it around 145, may look like the picture.
I'm sure it read 239. Who knows I could have read it wrong but even my thermo said 239* Oh well it was fun any hoo.

Hey guys what does this score mean for the chicken?

6. Hickory Grove 553.1426
Chicken

Chicken

It should read "16. Hickory Grove 553.1426"

The 553.1426 is the accumulated point total for all four catagories.

Your chicken score is one fourth of this total score.

Not bad for your first time out! Your pork/pork rib scores are respectable, Good job there. The mystery chicken... 239* is hard to fathum for what we're looking at. I'm not doubting you but Pooh makes a good point they should look like hockey pucks at that temp. Brisket is the toughest category to cook.
Now that you have some experience under your belt, you will be able to work the kinks out. You'll be on your way to a GC in no time at all.

I suppose if the pit was at 240F and you took the temp right next to the bone then than part of the meat COULD have read 239F, but I'm with Pooh, if you're chicken really was at that temp it would look a lot like the charcoal you were using.

Do this. Take a big glass of water chock full of ice and let it sit a couple minutes. Stick the thermo in and see how close to 32F it is. Then get a pan of water to a rolling boil and stick your thermo in it and see how close it is to 212F. Since you're in Traverse that's close to lake level and sea level (Michigan Cherry festival, wooohoo [my bro lives in Grand Rapids]).

If you find your thermo is off, which I suspect you might, then ping me you're mailing address and you might find the only OFFICIAL TRUE FASTEST OFFICIAL thermometer of the Brethren* might make it to your doorstep.

I suppose if the pit was at 240F and you took the temp right next to the bone then than part of the meat COULD have read 239F, but I'm with Pooh, if you're chicken really was at that temp it would look a lot like the charcoal you were using.

Do this. Take a big glass of water chock full of ice and let it sit a couple minutes. Stick the thermo in and see how close to 32F it is. Then get a pan of water to a rolling boil and stick your thermo in it and see how close it is to 212F. Since you're in Traverse that's close to lake level and sea level (Michigan Cherry festival, wooohoo [my bro lives in Grand Rapids]).

If you find your thermo is off, which I suspect you might, then ping me you're mailing address and you might find the only OFFICIAL TRUE FASTEST OFFICIAL thermometer of the Brethren* might make it to your doorstep.
The Probe was right on the bone or very close to it.

Chicken

That's not the chicken score, it is your overall score for all four categories.

Look at the KCBS rules for the full breakdown on scoring, but for each category a perfect score would be 180, so for all four categories a perfect score would be 4 X 180, or 720.

What you really want to see is the detailed scored for each meat. For this competition those should be sent via e-mail to each team. When you see those you will be able to see what each judge scored for appearance, taste and tenderness. That will tell you more than the totals shown in the results that were posted, but those details aren't published. they are provided to each team for their own entries.

That's not the chicken score, it is your overall score for all four categories.

Look at the KCBS rules for the full breakdown on scoring, but for each category a perfect score would be 180, so for all four categories a perfect score would be 4 X 180, or 720.

What you really want to see is the detailed scored for each meat. For this competition those should be sent via e-mail to each team. When you see those you will be able to see what each judge scored for appearance, taste and tenderness. That will tell you more than the totals shown in the results that were posted, but those details aren't published. they are provided to each team for their own entries.
Thank you Ron for clearing that up. I'm still new to all this comp stuff and it;s VERY exciting.

Back