A Rib Poll

Do you turn in baby backs or spares?

• baby backs

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • spares

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well I took both kinds of ribs to Fulton this weekend, and I must say that the spares ruled.....thanks for all that participated in the poll, I think it was very helpful.....though I still prefer to eat babybacks, I think the spares score much better!!

We score better at contests with Spares, but my wife likes the Baby backs best to eat.

I think you get a more uniform look if you trim your spares to a St. Louis Cut - and I think they are more forgiving on cooking also. IMO it is much easier to overcook the baby backs...

We score better at contests with Spares, but my wife likes the Baby backs best to eat.

I think you get a more uniform look if you trim your spares to a St. Louis Cut - and I think they are more forgiving on cooking also. IMO it is much easier to overcook the baby backs...

I agree that spares are more forgiving, although, baby backs seem easier to cook them to tenderness. But I'm a BB cooker, too. Only until lately, have I learned how to cook spares right. The bones that come out the back of the ribs on spares is frustrating.

Two weeks ago we cooked Baby Backs and scored a 162. This week we did spares and scored 161: same presentation, same process, same recipe, same relative score.

Back