A new way of cook grate fried chicken for me: Step by Step-Sort of

Looks great, gotta love properly fried chicken. I'd recommend seasoning the flour/bread crumbs as well, more layers of flavor is a good thing.

That looks great. I will be trying.

Trying that this weekend. Wow!!

Thanks for the step by step, I'm trying this :grin:
Love to see your cooks!

Looks great!
I've always done breaded breast or drum sticks on a frying pan. Never tried grill. Never used open fire for that matter.
Will definitely give it a go this weekend!
Like I mentioned to larred it just depends on how intense the heat is and if it gets channeled straight upward... What kind of setup would you use? It's amazing how much camp fire heat from the flames is less intense in the area above it than with a wood cooker with walls surrounding it. When the heat goes above those walls is when it really starts getting distributed in all outward directions.

That is really cool, I got to follow your stuff and try these, thanks for sharing, been looking to try breaded chicken or turkey on the fire.
Since you're over a campfire which isn't as hot over the fire as something that channels the heat straight up... you might be able to get away with a good direct cook the whole time and not burn the breading.

Like I mentioned to larred it just depends on how intense the heat is and if it gets channeled straight upward... What kind of setup would you use? It's amazing how much camp fire heat from the flames is less intense in the area above it than with a wood cooker with walls surrounding it. When the heat goes above those walls is when it really starts getting distributed in all outward directions.

Well I'm completely unequipped for open fire. My grill is a simple shallow one and we live in a penthouse so can't use the ground. I've been thinking about upgrading but webber are expensive here and the last two years were mostly dedicated to smoking. Haven't done much grill except for independence day. When we're entertaining it's mostly with smoked food. So my idea is to grill the breats to brown. Then move them to the smoker to finish cooking. I've opened a new thread for my experiment. You of course get full credit:grin:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3595539#post3595539

Back