A month and a half with the LSG vertical offset

JacksBBQ

Take a breath!
Well it's been about a month and a half since I got my Lone Star Grillz vertical offset so I thought I would post an update with my initial thoughts on the smoker. I think I've smoked at least one thing every weekend since getting it. General opinion is that this thing is awesome. Really happy this is what I decided on.

Things I've Cooked

1. Naked Fatty

2. Spare Ribs

3. Briskets

4. Wings

5. Baby Back Ribs

6. Sausage

7. St Louis Ribs

General Observations

1. Chris Goodlander knows how to build one hell of a smoker. I am sold on their products for life now. The quality of this build is amazing. This thing is going to out live me. Once I get my back patio project complete later this year, Im most likely going to buy a Santa Maria grill from them.

2. Coming from a big horizontal offset, cooking on a vertical offset is a lot different. There is something about the heat that seems a little more direct than what I was use to. Ive noticed I just have to drop my temps about 25-50 degrees from what I use to use get the same results. First couple of cooks kind of caught me off guard but this thing puts off some quality food.

3. The warming oven option is worth the extra cost. SSV3's posts more or less convinced me to get it and it's amazing how versatile it is. The removable divider plate with the adjustable baffles really allows for a lot of different cooking options. Twice now Ive done wings where I took the divider plate completely out and loaded up the charcoal basket and used it for the cook. Im experimenting today with smoking some ribs in there as opposed to the main smoke chamber. So far, so good. Next challenge is to do a pizza.

4. This thing drafts like crazy. The firebox seals up really nice and the temp changes really fast when messing with the damper. One nice thing I realized that is if you get the temp too hot you can just crack the door and level things out. I couldn't really do that on my horizontal offset.

5. Be forewarned that if you get one of these with a warming oven AND a 1/2" thick fire box, its a beast to move around but very doable on concrete. Just don't get in a hurry about moving it around.

6. Getting the front folding table was the way to go. The front table is largely unusable because the main chamber door opening and closing makes it really hard to use. I have a rolling table that is about 5 inches shorter than the front door. I just roll it up, take out what I need, then close the door and do my work on the table. Most things will clear the door sitting on it so it works really well.

Pics!

jGmtoPvl.jpg

MZFbHxkl.jpg

crObpQEl.jpg

vhAQIjAl.jpg

xirEmg7l.jpg

NuxPa25l.jpg

JApjZHQl.jpg

J7xaqZcl.jpg

jUXffXjl.jpg

DtMAWjRl.jpg

Last edited:
Glad your loving it!

Yup Chris and his team...Quality, that vertical offset is so sweet.

SSv's posts are what put me in turmoil after I had ordered the insulated cabinet.

-D

Glad your loving it!

Yup Chris and his team...Quality, that vertical offset is so sweet.

SSv's posts are what put me in turmoil after I had ordered the insulated cabinet.

-D

Ill be real honest I was strongly considering one of the insulated cabinets but Ive been a stick burner guy my whole life so I was a little torn. His posts swung me back to getting this and I couldn't be happier. As side note, I think Id be pretty happy with one of the insulated cabinets as well. I looked them over while I was down there ordering mine and they are pretty awesome. Out of all the smokers Chris could have at his house, he's got one of the minis so I think that says a lot about them. The massive mega thread on here should probably also justify the purchase. All around great smokers.

Glad you're enjoying it Jacks. Like you noticed, I love the almost immediate responsiveness when you adjust the intake because it drafts so well. Your pics look awesome and way to go. I thought the PBC made amazing which it does but chicken but I was blown away how insanely delicious and juicy of a bird you get in the LSG among other things.

Can't beat the real estate for the smaller foot print. I've got a big cook for about a 100 people at work and needless to say I was chosen again since they're still craving the same BBQ from last year. :becky:

Glad you're enjoying it Jacks. Like you noticed, I love the almost immediate responsiveness when you adjust the intake because it drafts so well. Your pics look awesome and way to go. I thought the PBC made amazing which it does but chicken but I was blown away how insanely delicious and juicy of a bird you get in the LSG among other things.

Can't beat the real estate for the smaller foot print. I've got a big cook for about a 100 people at work and needless to say I was chosen again since they're still craving the same BBQ from last year. :becky:

The real estate is really crazy. This thing really doesn't take up much space and it has over three times the cooking space my old big horizontal offset did. Easily one of the best patio smokers you could buy.

The real estate is really crazy. This thing really doesn't take up much space and it has over three times the cooking space my old big horizontal offset did. Easily one of the best patio smokers you could buy.

Yup! Another reason why I chose it for a patio smoker. 6000 sq/in with oven and that a lot of space.

I have had my vertical offset from LSG for a year now. Absolutely love it. All of the things you mentioned regarding the draft, temperature regulation, etc are spot on. Would not change a thing. I have a Lifetime table that I set up when doing major cooking on the smoker that works well.

ssv3 and OldBill were the guys that inspired me to go with the vertical. I am glad they did.

Just keep cooking on it and enjoy!

I have had my vertical offset from LSG for a year now. Absolutely love it. All of the things you mentioned regarding the draft, temperature regulation, etc are spot on. Would not change a thing. I have a Lifetime table that I set up when doing major cooking on the smoker that works well.

ssv3 and OldBill were the guys that inspired me to go with the vertical. I am glad they did.

Just keep cooking on it and enjoy!

Now that you mention it, OldBill's smoker was the first one I found when googling for these initially which really got me turned on to them. Seems like he's not on here anymore but in the event he still lingers, big thanks for posting what you have. Really helped with my purchasing decision along with SSV3s numerous posts.

Miss OldBill. It all started from him and he coached and helped me a great deal. I think I was the second or third on here to buy the LSG VO and it caught on like wildfire. :becky: Unfortunately most of the guys aren't around or active on here. There is a bunch of us.

Everything looks great. Strongly considering this vertical now vs a traditional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup food looks awesome!
How big of sticks do you use to maintain temp and how often do you need to feed it?
I've got the same rig on order only 16 more weeks to go!

Yup food looks awesome!
How big of sticks do you use to maintain temp and how often do you need to feed it?
I've got the same rig on order only 16 more weeks to go!

I use splits that are a little on the smaller size. I seem to only have to feed it every 45 minutes or so. Once this thing gets up to temp, it is surprisingly fuel efficient. I opted to get the gas starter so getting it started is really easy and fast.

Back