THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue Kettle

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
TK
So the father-in-law up and gifted me a barely used 6" A-Maze-N tube today after I saw it at his house and asked him about it. The packaging says this thing will smoke for up to 2 hours. I thought I'd try it in my Weber Genesis E-310 with a few of the smaller cuts that don't require a tone of time like pork tenderloin and salmon. Anyone have any experience with this? Would it be roughly equivalent to a bottom tier propane smoker or does the tube not put off enough smoke to be in that ballpark.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and responses.

I've done exactly this when living in an apartment complex with provided LP grills but no smokers. Those A-Maze-N tubes are legit.

LP for the heat. Tube for the smoke.

I've done exactly this when living in an apartment complex with provided LP grills but no smokers. Those A-Maze-N tubes are legit.

LP for the heat. Tube for the smoke.

Sweet. I'm excited to give it a try. And you can't beat the price (obviously).

I bought the same tube on Amazon about 2 years ago. It does put out about 2 hours of smoke. I've only used it for cold smoking on my kettle. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a gasser.

Used it yesterday for some sweet spiced nuts.

zUSnEHBgyqzWfVqVfFwxada0pR9tNPWO9HDKg-ut-EqDMgaZl2wCX5AigQEUKIG8D6iHBgsvbuqEHVGoE_HOFDHBIN2J3gCc1rQTxaCTQlPdQZpzbWW5JyckRIX234KfdVnR-oBUHA

I used one of those pellet tubes on my gas grill (which I no longer own). Personally, I didn't really detect much smoke flavor added to whatever I was grilling.

Hmm. Tried tonight on some chicken breasts. Didn't seem like it did much in terms of imparting smoke flavor. I used Apple so maybe I need to switch to hickory for a bit more noticable flavor. It probably didn't help that I somehow messed up and ended up drying out the chicken a bit. Will try again next weekend. Might wet brine the breasts first.

This is my vacation set up. We usually vacation at places that have propane grills for guests, so I take a 6" tube and a zip loc of pellets. Works well enough when there isn't a dedicated smoker.

I wet a napkin in oil to light the pellets so I don't have to travel with flammables.

Temp control is the hardest thing with that set up.

I have used them for added smoke and cold smoking.

Placement is key is key so the smoke contacts the food and not just exits out the exhaust. Might need to place under the grates.

I have used them for added smoke and cold smoking.

Placement is key is key so the smoke contacts the food and not just exits out the exhaust. Might need to place under the grates.

Yes. That seemed to be a major issue. I eventually moved the stick closer to the meat but that was sub-optimal as well. Under the grates is a good idea. Will try that. Also thinking about just buying another larger and tossing them both in there at once.

Ive use wood chips in my gas grill, which I think would give off about the same amount of smoke as the tube. Gas grills are not sealed well, so you are only going to get a hint of any smoke. Still smells nice, though. Stainless steel wood box for the chips received as a gift a few years back. Still going strong.

When I had my Genesis I'd use foil packs of wood chips and it worked very well. As stated before though you need to get the wood chips low so it has a chance to get on the meat before it leaves through the various avenues available.

The key with the tube is to read the instructions. I get a propane torch, light it well, and let it burn for at least five minutes before blowing it out and letting it smolder. You would need to put it on one side of your Genesis, with the burner off or the pellets will burn up too quickly.

Much love to those who suggested getting the tube lower. I used it again tonight to add some smoke to turkey burgers (something I never would have done with my charcoal smoking setup given the time investment on a weeknight after work).

Placed the tube on its side under the grate. Was actually a perfect fit between two flavorizer bars. Got some really nice, subtle smoke flavor on the meat this time. The wife actually thought they were the best turkey burgers I had ever made.

So yay for easy, quick ways to smoke.

If you are wanting more smoke flavor from using your tube, put wood chips in it. I tried it awhile back just for fun and got good results. I load the tube up with chips and top it off with pellets to get the initial burn going and it worked pretty good.

Back