A little Kamado repair advise PLEASE!

amcole

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
First of all, I hope i am posting this question in the correct area, if not very sorry. I recently acquired a Kamado ceramic cooker in which the fire box had fallin to pieces. The parts where large enough that i felt confident putting it back together. I used a fire place repair silicon to "glue" the prices back home. Then used a combination of furnace cement and water to make a paste that i coated the whole thing with. The questions i have now are, is the process i used going to contaminate food in any way when i cook with it, and what is the best method to "heat cure" these products? I know i saw a method similar to this on the web somewhere but I'm not quite sure that i did this correctly. Thank you so much for any advice. Happy late New Year to all!

Never had that problem but i have read on a few threads here and other sites that JB Weld works and held up to heat

Wish i could help you... Just hold tight, SOMEONE will help you!

Hope someone does step in with some definitive evidence on these questions. I've asked something similar in the past, and have received contradictory answers about off-gassing and toxic fumes. Are these materials harmful, or not? Does anyone here actually know?

I got distracted. Once you find the products read the MsdS info then you have a personal decision. Me? my recommendation is buy a new fire bowl

Never had that problem but i have read on a few threads here and other sites that JB Weld works and held up to heat
From their web page.
"How much heat can J-B Weld withstand?

Original J-B Weld can withstand a constant temperature of 500º F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600º F for a short term (10 minutes). Refer to individual product packages for more temperature information."

There is a high heat version.
"Withstands continuous heat up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit"

I did this repair with JB Weld 3 & 1/2 years ago including the fire box, fire ring & base that were all cracked (assembled from various different eggs) and it's still smoking away today without incident:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107945

edit: no toxic fumes that I'm aware of & I'm not dead yet

001.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to every one for the great advise! As i have already used the other products, I wont get a chance to use the JB Weld method this time. Read the MSDS for both products and in my opinion they both safe enough for me. You guys are great and I have to say this is the best site i have found to get good quality info and advice. Deffinatly going to reach out to swamprb to see if there is any other input.

Check the Kamado guru. There is an engineer in the site his name is addertooth snd he rebuilds kamados for a hobby. That guy will give you sound info!! Kamadoguru.com

Back