THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

charcoal4brains

Knows what a fatty is.
Greetings new brethren and cistern!

I've been lurking for a while, part of the delay has been due to a username error I made at PhotoBucket.com ...

come to find out I can change my birthdate, I can change my gender (I'll leave that cunning publicity stunt to Bwucie) but I can't change my username. go figger

At any rate, it's high time to properly introduce myself.

Born'n'raised in KCMO, I can smell good 'que a mile away. Retired (mechanical and software engineer) now, I enjoy drivin my neighbors crazy maybe 5x a week - and no, I'm not talking about the nude calisthenics in front of an open window. That's a different website entirely.

When my '70s vintage 22-1/2" Weber kettle was stolen I got a charcoal Weber Go-Anywhere, and have developed ways to low'n'slow chuck roasts, ribs, beef shanks and whatnot, and bake at higher temps too. I can cook on it just like the big boys, and it fits inside my living room's fireplace for rainy day Q-ing!

A while back I was given a large terra cotta flowerpot. I can use it as a stand for a legless $5 garage sale Smoky Joe for grilling, or I can take the SJ's bowl out and use the food grate and lid for an Alton Brown-ish charcoal burning smoker. The flowerpot needs more seasoning, it still smells like Miracle-Gro and cat p.

Just got a like-new blue 22-1/2" OTG for $30 on CL - have burned up a ton of HEB's store brand briquettes learning how to adjust the vents. I think they burn as well as KB but are harder to light - maybe Kingsford is on to something with their fancy edges?

Added a few goodies ... the Slide-Aside lid holder, errr, the DANG-DAWG-PROOF Slide-Aside lid holder, and I'm assembling a PID Automatic Temperature Controller kit that will also control a sous vide water oven.

LUUUUUUV! My Maverick ET-732! HAAAAAAATE it's tiny screws! The first thing I did when I took it out of the box was seal the cable-probe connections with silicon sealer. The OVEN probe lasted about 6 months, the FOOD probe died a couple of months later.

Got a pair of replacement probes (phew! you'd think they'd throw in a receiver unit for that kind of money!) The first thing I did when I took them out of the box was seal the cable-probe connections with RTV silicon sealer. A few weeks later one probe spent the night at the bottom of my temporary sous vide water oven (canning kettle in an electric skillet.) Shook the water off, dried it in a low oven, two months later it still reads the same as the other (dry) probe.

Have a weakness for all things cast iron, rocket stoves, and razor sharp knives. Just picked up a double-sized reversible cast iron griddle, belt sanded it baby's bee-hind smooth, then seasoned the fark outta it with flaxseed oil. I call it "Slick." Been makin some deeee-lish! boogies on my made-from-scratch bunz!

Here's a few pics of some of my toys (I hope, did I post them right???)

- Flower pot smoker. Notice the 5-gallon fire buckets, I get them for free-to-a-buck at bakeries. Some don't have lids, they have a couple of 1", $0.19 "feeder" goldfish which helps a lot in keeping the 'skeeter population down.

SmokeyJoeFlowerpot-DSC00038_zpsckgbk0s2.jpg

- Chuck roast on the WGA

chuck-roast-IMG_20140506_150926_zpssbu81tot.jpg

chuck-roast-IMG_20140506_222848_zpsrw6glafq.jpg

- Turkey thighs on the WGA in the fireplace
IMG_20150205_151309_zpsbgnporhw.jpg

Looking forward to gettin to know y'all, learning a lot, sharing what little I know ...

\\ c4b

OTG (DI) Blue 22-1/2"
WGA (H) (charcoal)
WSJ (J) & flowerpot smoker
Maverick ET-732
PID controller on workbench

Welcome to the Brethren!! There is a wealth of knowledge and experience amung the members. If you have a BBQ or cooking related obsession or hobby this is the place to be. Sit back, soak up the knowledge and jump in there and be sure to share yours as well. If you can't find or get an answer to the question here then there is probably not an answer available.

Welcome to the forum C4B, glad to have you join us and hopefully take part in the other forums.

We don't have a lot of rules here other than spam and advertising are not permitted, the rest is just common sense, courtesy, and mutual respect for one another.

You'll find a great group of people here with a willingness to help and guide you, regardless of of how simple or how complicated you think your question may be. You'll also find that there are many ways to achieve great food, there is no single "cookie cutter" method as some have been conditioned to think. You'll just have to try a few different methods and soon you'll master the way that works best for you.

We'll be here to guide you and answer your questions as you begin your journey into smoking and BBQ. Pretty soon you'll go from asking questions to posting pictures of your progress, and we will all share in your experience as true Brethren.

We have many different forums here.... Below are just a few of them.

For discussion on BBQ/Smoking related topics, we have the "Q-Talk" Forum. This is a good starting point for all new Brethren.

For those who are interested in competing, We have a "Competition BBQ" forum.

We also have a "Catering, Food Handling and Awareness" and "Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses".

We also have a trading forum where members can trade sauces and rubs available from different areas around our country.

For general non BBQ related talk we also have "The Wood Pile" forum.

I hope to see you in the "Q-Talk" forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about a specific topic, just start a new thread in the related forum.

There are many members with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and share their knowledge to guide you in the right direction. Collectively there is a wealth of experience and knowledge among the membership, including you. Don't be afraid to jump in there and share your knowledge and your experiences as well.

Back