A Gringo makes cochinita pibil & habañero salsa in the 505 (w/ Pr0n!)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
I've been hooked on the Netflix series, "Taco Chronicles" as of late. Last week, when switching my body over to the night shift, I watched the episodes on Suadero and Cochinita Pibil.

I talked CINCHOUSE into letting me try this with the other part of our pork butt used for souvlaki.

Couldn't find banana leaves to save my life! Checked 2 Mexi-marts, 4 grocery stores, and the DoD Commissary... not even frozen ones. Boo.

Juiced a whole bunch of oranges and limes. Added in the Recado rojo (that I could easily find... in Albertsons!), and poured it over a deeply scored pork butt.

qnMFb8Nl.jpg

Into the 26er with the SNS ticking along at 250-275.

uyMBHyrl.jpg

Watched 4-5 YouTube videos on habañero salsas, and looked at 5-10 recipes. Picked and chose a course down the middle.

E5x6cTRl.jpg

43ZyQJbl.jpg

mMixrxXl.jpg

2v9RNMCl.jpg

Big fan. This isn't heat-forward, but the chile sweet & fresh says, "hello!," followed by the lime tart, then the heat builds from the back of your tongue. Nice.

Also have some red onion doing a quick pickle in some orange & lime juice with salt.

It's getting hot out there. 85F. Ugh. Windows closed again.

woboqHZl.jpg

Cochinita is at 126F on her way to about 200-205ish.
Now, we wait... and do laundry.

Last edited:
...one of our local Walmarts has frozen banana leaves.

Cheers, Chris!

That's what I was hoping when I hit our local Walmart, too... They probably saw me coming and hid them all. Shenanigans. :roll:

Oh man...Tecate with some salsa on the lid??? Been too long since I’ve done that.

Not quite salsa... but Valentina's Hot Sauce, Tajin Snack Sauce, Lime Juice, and Tajin "Sprinkles."

One of you fine Brethren schooled me on the hot sauce & lime... I just kept the ball rolling with the other additions.

Wanna drink that marinade

This is the first time I've been able to find the recado... before, it was just recipe/MSU. I think it's going to be a game changer.

All sorts of bright flavors with some spices and chiles... and I'm sure it only gets better with lime & orange juices and salt involved.

There you go again, making another fantastic meal hundreds of miles away. I'll just have to do like everyone else and try to taste it through the screen. Waiting for the finished product.

Looking good, Marc! Looking forward to the cochinita pibil. I got a hold of a faulty recipe and totally failed at it once (did get banana leaves though!) and trying again has always been floating around in what's left of my mind. Love habanero salsa! I just wish it loved me back. :doh:

Looks outstanding! Want to comment on the beer, Tecate is one of the few breweries that can pull off a canned beer. One of my favorite canned beers was Tres Equis, (XXX) haven't seen it in decades.

Carry on.

After 6 good hours on the 26er, it finally probed nicely.

IPihrFtl.jpg

Brought it inside and pulled it apart... back into the juices it went.

XsO4rvXl.jpg

CINCHOUSE is happy.

Munchkin gave it "10 thumbs up" as she held up 2 full hands. Kid must be digitally enhanced or something. :roll:

Mini-Elotes on the grill.

Having trouble posting this... Server 500 Errors galore. :shock:

Mini-Elotes worked well.

U68LnHHl.jpg

Here's the plated shot, albeit messy.

nag3IoBl.jpg

Having watched Rick Bayless' cook, I learned about the Black Label Habañero Sauce that really brings in a wonderful smokey, acidic heat that just isn't in my salsa. When combined with what I made, this is the perfect match.

mifBZe8l.jpg

This was my favorite taco: Nice combo of fatty and lean meat. Pickled red onion. Homemade salsa. Black Label Sauce. Squeeze of lime.

Amen.

JkackzNl.jpg

Oh, you folks need some of this. Yes, I could drink the juices from the pan, Jason TQ... It's mainly orange and lime with some spices and fat. (Yes, please!).

It's the "toppings" that really "make" this dish. Gotta have the pickled onions... and that salsa!

Have a great week, folks. Back at it in the morning for me.

Back