A Cinderblock Pit Cook

Thanks everbody! The block pit is really easy to use. It's kind of an eye sore in the back yard but there are no neighbors to complain. :-D

Nice Jeannie, as usual! Thats a whole lot a food!
so this pit, you covered it? I guess I need to go read your blog!! LOL!
Yes I cover the pit! Thanks! :becky:

Everyone's invited to the next one if you bring side dishes, lawn chairs beer and ice. lol

Proof again you don't need all those new fangle things to cook great food.

Thanks Jestridge.. that's how I feel too. :thumb:
Give me a pile of wood and a shovel and I'll bury it .....or use my tractor rim. :becky:

Thanks...

Real nice Jeannie! I'm with Bob on the deviled eggs, I can't get enough. We have a couple of big parties here every year so I'm real interested in the whole hog/cinder block idea. I'm going to re-read your blog. Thanks for the inspiration. And BTW Wow what a spread of food.

Real nice Jeannie! I'm with Bob on the deviled eggs, I can't get enough. We have a couple of big parties here every year so I'm real interested in the whole hog/cinder block idea. I'm going to re-read your blog. Thanks for the inspiration. And BTW Wow what a spread of food.

Thank you Black Dog, The pit really is easy to use. I placed the beans over the hot coals on one end and they did simmer through the whole cook. I stirred them a few times. The center of the pit stayed at 225F.
When I added the pulled pork, I kept it covered and gave it a stir every so often to make sure it wasn't drying out.

You know.... I never did get to try one of those deviled eggs. :-D

Thanks again. :thumb:

How many people? That looks like quite a spread.

JD, 50 were invited but not all could make it. The ones that did come brought new fiances, husbands, wifes too.... so it probably brought the count back up to 50. I didn't take a head count after cooking. I hit the ice chest and grabbed a cold beer. :becky:

Here's an old pit cook.. venison leg, chipotle pork butt and smoked pintos...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52949

101_7884-1.jpg

Exquisite Q as always Jeanie!! A couple of quick questions. How do you go about adding coals and are they pre-lit? Cheers!!!

Brushed the ribs with bacon drippings you say???

*Goddess* :p

(Seriously, nice job and it all looks super good!)

Exquisite Q as always Jeanie!! A couple of quick questions. How do you go about adding coals and are they pre-lit? Cheers!!!
Thanks Hamilton! You can do it either way. Laying them on top of the hot coals is the easiest. I slide a block open on the end of the pit and add the coals. You can make doors for your pit, but this works fine for me.

Thank you M and Sunra! :-D

Brushed the ribs with bacon drippings you say???

*Goddess* :p

(Seriously, nice job and it all looks super good!)

lol Bacon drippings make everything better! Thanks!! :becky:

Thank you Johnny! It was fun but I'm glad it's over. lol :-D

Jeanie,
that is awesome!!!!! especially in all this heat! I'll let ya know when my birthday is so you can whip up a feast like that again, LOL

I have SOOOO been wanting to do that.:thumb: I want to cook a whole hog for my dad's trail rides.I think a few practice rounds with some butts and ribs would be a good confidence builder.Thanks for the idea.

Neighbor, I don't know what to say. Just awsome!!!! Haven't seen you are here much lately so glad to see you showing us something wonderful!

Back