A chef buddy turned me onto a knife I must try

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
I did a forum search and came up with no hits for Dalstrong knives. A chef buddy turned me on to them and told me I should check them out. He said the value far exceeds the price. It looks like they make knives out of both Damascus steel and ceramic. This is one I want to try, under $120 for this chef knife.....

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/DALSTRONG-Chef-Knife-Shogun-Gyuto/dp/B015NFHU9K/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1466704898&sr=1-2&keywords=dalstrong"]Amazon.com: DALSTRONG Chef Knife - Shogun Series Gyuto - VG10 - 9.5" (240mm): Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Unrivaled Performance: Ruthlessly sharp scalpel like edge is hand finished to a mirror polish within a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang for superb robustness and triple riveted for even more resilience.

Dalstrong Power: An ultra sharp VG-10 Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+ Rockwell hardness: extraordinary performance and edge retention. 66 layers of premium high-carbon stainless steel layers ensure exceptional strength, durability and stain resistance. Perfectly balanced, the precisely tapered blade minimizes surface resistance for buttery smooth cut through and enhanced non-stick properties. Dalstrong's stunning 'tsunami-rose' genuine Damascus layers.

Engineered to Perfection: Ultra-premium G-10 handle is military grade with life-long durability. Carefully hand polished, the ergonomic handle shape is engineered for superior hand control, agility and comfort. Hand-polished blade spine for smooth handling.

Dalstrong Trust: Rocksolid 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free. LIFETIME WARRANTY against defect.

81GE7WIgbYL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Amazon marketing. Some of the reviews are fake, done for advertising. Not to say it's not a good knife, but you have to get through the bling and bs. Let us know if you like it.

VG-10 is my favorite knife steel followed by D2 for holding a keen edge. Lots of value in that kitchen sword keep your fingers out of the way if you value them.

I have a few Ken Onion Shuns and when my buddy (the same one that recommended these) sharpens them, you can drop a piece of paper on the blade and I slices it. It is pretty scary when I first get them back from him.

Amazon marketing. Some of the reviews are fake, done for advertising. Not to say it's not a good knife, but you have to get through the bling and bs. Let us know if you like it.

I'm sure some of the reviews are fake, it's Amazon! I'll let you know what I think. They guy that recommended them to me knows his way around knives and is a master sharpener, so I have to trust him on this one.

You can't go wrong with a good VG-10 blade if it is hardened correctly. I also like the D-2 tool steel in a knife. It is difficult to sharpen, but when sharpened correctly, it will hold up to a lot of use before needing some tuning up. A lot of people talk down the D-2 as it is not a stainless steel, and will stain or rust if not taken care of properly. I have a good patina coating on mine that makes it almost rust free if cleaned and dried after use. It is a "Made in Alaska" folding knife. Good knives for the money.

Omar

I have a VG-10 masamoto that I absolutely love. Holds an edge for a long time. Only downside with a really hard steel blade is its harder to get sharp again once its dull. Get yourself a good whetstone if you don't already have one. Its worth it!

I am curious to hear your review on these... They're made in china? I can't say I ever thought about buying a Chinese made knife..If I want a Japanese style knife, I usually go to japanesechefsknife.com/. Let us know how it compares to your shuns!

Thanks for the post! I'm a sucker for knives and my upcoming birthday gives me a good excuse to buy one. Amazon Prime free one day shipping!

Jason, I don't know anything about this knife company, but I can tell you VG 10 steel chits all over the ss2 steel that is Shun, and that shape on the Dalstrong will make you far happier slicing with it.
It won't cut as good as a quality carbon knife, but you get the benefit of care free use!
Worth a crack, look forward to hearing your opinion in a while.

Back