A 1/2 cow walked through my door and jumped into the freezer! LOTS OF PRON

$3.40@lb is not too bad considering you are on the east coast. Nebraska is almost $1 cheaper per LB.

this is what i paid on 15 dec 17

Here is a quick breakdown of weights and cost. (this is just a guestimate and quick math) and this is split between 2 people.
- Hanging weight of half cow: 405lbs (divided by 2 = 202.5lbs per quarter)
- locker process fee - $281 (divided by 2 = $140.50 per person)
- fee paid to farmer for his cost of the feed - $810 (he charged us $2 per pound of the hanging weight (cost of feed?))
- total - $1091 divide by 2 = $545.5
- $545.5 divided by 202.5 = $2.69 per pound

here is the thread where i posted this:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=3214.msg71508#new

Thanks for that. That's a pretty big cow.. I didn't have to worry about the processing fees, or any of that... that was already figured up in my final price by the farm. So I really don't know those facts on how much went to the farm and how much went to the butcher.

So far I have nothing but good things to say about the farm and the beef that came from it.. I plan on placing an order for a winter supply. They asked if I have ever ate "Good" beef, I replied "yup, Once at a fancy restaurant in Florida"..... They said "well If your use to eating beef around here.. this still will blow your mind".... Have to say they are absolutely correct..

It kinda makes me wonder.. How crappy is the beef your eating from your super markets and stuff.

$3.40@lb is not too bad considering you are on the east coast. Nebraska is almost $1 cheaper per LB.

this is what i paid on 15 dec 17

Here is a quick breakdown of weights and cost. (this is just a guestimate and quick math) and this is split between 2 people.
- Hanging weight of half cow: 405lbs (divided by 2 = 202.5lbs per quarter)
- locker process fee - $281 (divided by 2 = $140.50 per person)
- fee paid to farmer for his cost of the feed - $810 (he charged us $2 per pound of the hanging weight (cost of feed?))
- total - $1091 divide by 2 = $545.5
- $545.5 divided by 202.5 = $2.69 per pound

here is the thread where i posted this:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=3214.msg71508#new

Unless I'm mistaken, you're figuring what the hanging weight cost per pound was, not the take home weight per pound. If 202.5lbs was the hanging weight of your quarter, you did not take into account the weight loss in processing. You can expect approximately 60% take home weight from the hanging weight. I'm guessing you paid about $4.50/lb take home, which is still a good deal if it's a good farmer.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Well that was a close one.. Power went out in a 30 mil radius.. with no ETA on when the power would be restored.. It only lasted a couple hours.. But its time for me to upgrade my generator my little 800 watt generator just isn't gonna cut it for emergency situations. Also didn't help It just didn't start! HAHA!

I made it though.. I figured if it was at least over night.. I wasn't going to open the freezer until the power was restored! We're good now!! :thumb:

Back