85 Gallon UDS/Hunsaker Questions

bubbamac00

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey guys. I’m considering a Hunsaker drum and while doing some research, saw where they sometimes do 85 gallon builds and that really intrigued me for capacity. Does anyone with one of these or their own home built 85 gallon care to comment on capacity? I have a 26 inch Weber kettle and I’m familiar with the grate size. Do you think if you use 2 levels that you could get 8-10 butts on one of these drums? Anyone with an 85 gallon wish they would have went the route of a 55 gallon instead?

I think two 55 gallons will give you more versatility.

Plus, have you seen how much for a single UDS can cook? It's a lot.

A 85 gallon drum has a height of almost 40”. Add some casters and you’re looking at at least 44” from the floor to the rim. Lifting a vortex basket full of lump or charcoal can be a challenge.

My 110 gallon UDS is 48” from the rim to the floor. The height is definitely a factor on why I go stick burner for some quick cooks. Something I did not think of when I was building it out.

c12ba8dad33624494fa964ed3b032698.jpg

Just a FYI if you are not aware, Hunsaker is getting some 85 gallon drums in to make cookers sometime in early March. The FB post I saw said to contact them if interested to get on the list. He ordered 10 drums so not that many available.

Thanks for the comments guys. The height of the drum is a bit of a concern but I sure would love the capacity. I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe as well for smaller cooks but would love the capacity of that 85. That’s the one thing I miss since getting rid of my Assassin 24. I’ve been in touch with Mark at Hunsaker already in regards to the batch of 85s he’s getting in. Will probably touch base again today.

I'm not overly concerned with the heavy grates. I would likely remove the meat from the top rack, remove the rack, and then proceed to the second rack. I guess that does add one more question that I have regardless of the size of UDS. Is there a necessity to rotate racks during longer cooks of brisket or butts? In my Assassin, the bottom rack was a bit warmer than the top but not to the point that I felt it was necessary to rotate. Just wondering about the same in a UDS.

I'm sure not trying to talk you out of it.
I've got a 55 gallon UDS- I was so happy that a weber dome fit the drum exactly. I could finally put a 2nd grate and double my grate space. I did 4 briskets one time...never did it again. The lower grate will run hotter and you might find yourself wanting to rotate grates a time or 2 during a long cook- or just to wrap. Big pain in the A$$- well - was for me anyway. The only time I've used the lower grate since was to hold a catch pan. I would almost rather have 2 flat lid UDS each having one grate than one with 2 grates.

Back