8 Briskets!

Been there....Done that!

Bigmista said:
8 briskets. Look at the picture to see what I had left...

Next time you fix BBQ like this remember that it is important for the pit master to taste the fixin's while it is in process. My Basset Hound, General Buford, also has his favorite test parts also. In fact there have been a lot of occasions when I went through the line with the rest of the family and only got salad and veggies because I had already ate my fill of meat.

Bugger said:
I had never heard of a brisket until a few years ago... I grew up thinking the only thing you could smoke was a hog... I've tried brisket several times with different outcomes... mostly poor ... That meet looks pretty good... I'm new to this forum where do you discuss how to cook a brisket:?:

I hadn't either, but then I'm a Limey, I've only BBQ''d brisket once and it came out fantastic. I've eaten it every day since Sunday - I've got it coming out of my ears!

My advice would be to soak up everything you read here, they are a very knowledgable bunch, you'll then get confused as a lot of the advice contradicts itself, and then go out and get Dr BBQ's Big Time book and try his Comp Brisket!!! :biggrin:

CarbonToe said:
My advice would be to soak up everything you read here, they are a very knowledgable bunch, you'll then get confused as a lot of the advice contradicts itself, and then go out and get Dr BBQ's Big Time book and try his Comp Brisket!!! :biggrin:

LOL. Getting confused is all part of the BBQ mystique.. you ever try wrestling rub ingredients from a competitor at a competition?

There's a wide variety of methods and tactics one might use for a given piece of meat on the various styles of smokers.. offset units require a different cooking style and method vs 'bullet' styles.. heck even vertical offsets (like the bandera) vs a horizontal offset.. some of the methods work differently as well in different climates and temperatre conditions.. for instance.. a bullet style will likely do better with less fuel than a bigger uninsulated offset like the bandera..

nothing wrong with being a limey.. just DONT BOIL YOUR Q

evilpsych said:
LOL. Getting confused is all part of the BBQ mystique.. you ever try wrestling rub ingredients from a competitor at a competition?

There's a wide variety of methods and tactics one might use for a given piece of meat on the various styles of smokers..

I haven't been anywhere near a regular here. But a while ago, when I happened to stumble across this site, I found the answer to most of the questions I had about q'ing.

I've gone from q'ing one or two birds or a butt and rushing it to get it done and attempting to eat stuff that my mutt turned his nose up at to brining, rubbing and q'ing 100 lbs of butt and brisket sittin above 10 turkey boobs, legs and thighs (fat drips and bastes those boobs). and it all gets better each successive time. believe what folks tell you. and if not, try it for yourself. Seeing (and doing) is believing....

Bigmista said:
I went with more is better. I'd never win a competition with my brisket because it has no real "bark" but I think for sheer taste and tenderness, it was pretty darn good.

If there would've been two more slices, I would put em in a turn in box anyday. :grin:

Willy T.

I hate to be the one that brings this up Mista, but that brisket on the left looks like it sliced up kinda like bread.

So....tell us more about the lady chasing you around....

Back