THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great lookin, i mean ugly drum you got there. Bring on the pron!

I stand corrected on the basket, it IS expanded steel. The main support for the base is a riser from a barstool that I bought at Menards. I didn't need the riser, and it looked like it would make a nice base. I just took the scrap pieces and welded them across the top and then went around the outside with a plasma cutter. I suck at welding so it was a pretty UGLY basket when I got done with it. I broke it in with a chuck roast (french dips) and a few short ribs. I was so hungry I forgot to take pics. Trying some pork ribs tomorrow. The beef was awesome!!!

You definitely work with exhaust pipe for a living. Nice job...

Here is the first back of pork ribs off the UDS

She aint so ugly anymore, But she's still cheap and easy:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF0014.jpg
    DSCF0014.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 145
I've never cooked on a drum, but do you really want a fire basket that big? Most I've seen don't cover the entire bottom of the drum. I've seen briskets on fire from set ups like this before. :biggrin:

I've never cooked on a drum, but do you really want a fire basket that big? Most I've seen don't cover the entire bottom of the drum. I've seen briskets on fire from set ups like this before. :biggrin:

The only reason I made the ring that big was due to the size of the base I had. I certainly won't fill it completely unless I start cremation services for the neighborhood pets.

... I certainly won't fill it completely unless I start cremation services for the neighborhood pets.

Speaking of cooking pets, here is a guy who cooks cats!
Cooked-Cat-18884.jpg

But seriously, Nice build! When I get my barrel, I will steal (ahem use) some of your ideas. I love the use of eye bolts. seems safer than the sharpened arm gougers I've seen. Very sweet!

My build was a mix of about 20 different plans/ideas/pic I saw while researching. I claim no award for a new idea. Use what you can find and make it your own. I knew I'd reached the pinnacle when my wife walked by while I was cooking ribs and proclaimed, "damn, that things ugly".

2nd Cook, First Baby Backs

I stopped at the not so local but popular meat shop for some fatty's and baby backs. $5.19 a lb for baby backs, and $4.29 for brisket. Needless to say only a few baby backs came home, and I'll head to wally world for a pork price reality check. Once set the uds held temp steady. I put some red marker on the guage so I can check it from a distance (err couch)...
250 for 5 hours, no foil, downright awesome....

Attachments

• DSCF0019.jpg
    DSCF0019.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 97
Shark, like the way you marked the therm temp range. I oriented the 200 degree mark to 12 o'clock to do the same. Everyone says, " did you know your thermometer is crooked". Can you see the needle from a short distance okay? Nice drum.

Ya killin me over here boss!! Clean up those edges man!!

Nice build though. :cool:

Shark, like the way you marked the therm temp range. I oriented the 200 degree mark to 12 o'clock to do the same. Everyone says, " did you know your thermometer is crooked". Can you see the needle from a short distance okay? Nice drum.

My original plan was to turn the thermometer, but I decided I would still have to walk up to it to be sure. After I marked it up I found I can read it from 50-75 feet no problem, If I can't see the needle, I know I'm in the red and Q'n fine8)

Back