THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Jeff (Divemaster) mentioned in a different thread that he would give advice on appearance for a box "with the 5 second rule just like in a real comp".
How many of you judges (and cooks) feel this is how appearence score should be (or is being ) handled by the table captain?
One of my pet peeves is a TC who whooses the box by me like it's a game show. If this is happening at my table I ask them to slow down a little.
I TC'd twice this year and told my table before we started that I would hold the box before them until they gave me a head nod. It really took no more time (definatly not 1 minute) and afterward they felt that they really got a chance to examine and appreciate the box as presented.
Obviously if you get some dink spending too much time you need to speak to him.
Personally, I think this would be a good rule of practice to get into.
How many of you feel you get enough time to decide on your appearence scores?
Ed

I have usually felt fine with the time I am given. Most table captains wait till they get a head nod or I have begun to write my score before moving on. On the rare occassion where needed I have asked to see it again and that has always been honored.keith

We always ask for a nod. It's usually taught in our CBJ class out of respect for the TC and it gives the judge time. Sorry, but if a judge takes an extra 5 or 10 seconds before they nod, I don't move on.

Only once or twice have I had to ask the TC to slow down. Usually the TC waits for a nod or for the judge to start writing before he moves on.

My experience is the nod or a "thank you" is required and appreciated. It doesn't take long and the teams deserve the time for the best evaluation of their product.

Jeff (Divemaster) mentioned in a different thread that he would give advice on appearance for a box "with the 5 second rule just like in a real comp".
How many of you judges (and cooks) feel this is how appearance score should be (or is being ) handled by the table captain?
One of my pet peeves is a TC who whooses the box by me like it's a game show. If this is happening at my table I ask them to slow down a little.
I TC'd twice this year and told my table before we started that I would hold the box before them until they gave me a head nod. It really took no more time (defiantly not 1 minute) and afterward they felt that they really got a chance to examine and appreciate the box as presented.
Obviously if you get some dink spending too much time you need to speak to him.
Personally, I think this would be a good rule of practice to get into.
How many of you feel you get enough time to decide on your appearance scores?
Ed
In my defense, the five second rule I spoke of is more to keep me from spending to much time looking at my screen. I too have asked the TC to slow down or even bring back a box if they moved it on to fast.

Sorry for any confusion.

Back