5 Briskets and 6 Butts Cook on my Shirley 24x42 24x42

Hotch

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Hotch
So yesterday I cooked 5 Briskets and 6 Butts for my neighbor's fund raiser. This is to raise funds for the ISD Wrestling Team during the hosted District meet today and tomorrow.
Cooked the briskets in the main chamber and butts in the warmer.
This being my first big cook on the Shirley I was a bit guarded on how to make it happen.
Big thanks to Jason TQ, Diesel Dave and to Thatgrimguy!

I did have to deal with a small grease fire, mid cook, in the warming cabinet running it at 300+ degrees and 6 butts rendering all that pork goodness. I decided to borrow a trick from an EggHead friend Mickey. He uses regular ole table salt in a drip pan when needed in his BGE. So I did this in the charcoal pan. Seems to have worked quite well. What missed the pan burned off shortly there after, no harm done to the butts! This was my fault for not realizing the amount of drippings onto the bottom of the warmer during the cook at such a high temp. It all cleaned up great.
I did wrap the briskets when the average IT was around 160 or so and rotated both the butts and brisket for an even cook.
Once the cook was finished, the proteins were rested for 15 minutes before chopping and panning then straight to the fridge.

Today was warm up day. Started around 9:00 am this morning and hit 160+ center temp in all of the pans by 1:45 pm.
Off we go. Got the chuck wagon out for transport of the pans. After an elevator ride to floor 2 they were loaded into the warming cabinet within the concession room. Cabinet set to 160 and humidity to 60%.
I am very grateful to have a Shirley that allows for me to do this.
During the cook I was showing my friend how I could manage the temps with both the baffles and stacks. Making changes that would generate minor temp changes in seconds and not minutes!! Thanks Paul and Tyler for building the best cooker out there!!

And yes all tasted great!! It was quite an experience to taste each brisket and compare to the others. Two were from one place and three from another. Each group had a distinct flavor. Five of the six butts were outstanding with one tasting great but very tight. I think I could have cooked it for a week and it would not ever released!
I have a cook chart below along with some pics of the charity cook.

Thanks for looking! :mrgreen:

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

ISD_Wrestling_Team_Charity_Cook_2-9-2018.jpg

Hope to see you at the Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash 3-24-2018! :mrgreen:

Nailed that first big cook like a true veteran. :thumb: how big were the briskets?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Very nice Should be a good fund raiser
Thanks, I was told early on that they were going to sell each sandwich for $2.00 or $3.00. I suggested to portion each at 5oz. Yielding 3 servings per pound. Last I heard they bumped it to $5.00 each. So that works out to be $15.00 per lb. With all of food and supplies having been donated they should raise a few coins! :mrgreen:

Looks like quite a cook for a good cause. Strong work there Hotch!

Back