4th of july camping trip

okiesmokie78

Full Fledged Farker
Tried looking all over the interwebs and couldn't find any concrete answer, so I decided to turn to the Brethren! We are planning a camping trip from July 1st-5th and will be at the lake. We are tent camping with no electric, so food preservation will be all done by ice chests. My plan is to have simple meals throughout the first few days (dogs, and burgers, and such) but on the 4th some extra family is coming out to join us and I will be firing up the smoker. I plan on smoking a couple of pork loins, some link sausage, possibly some ribs, and maybe some chicken breasts. My question is: should I pack the items to cook on the 4th frozen to keep them viable longer? I just wonder if the timing will be right if I do that. I don't want them to thaw and spoil too quickly, but I also don't want to get ready to fire up the smoker and have meatsicles either! It seems like this shouldn't be that complicated and maybe Im overthinking it. Help, PLEASE!

I personally wouldn't be to concerned about the pork meats. With chicken I always feel like it can go a little longer in a marinade so that's what I would do with it. I would have all the meat defrosted and kept in a cooler that you won't be opening until the day you smoke them. Would hate to have still frozen meat on the day of the cook.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn't be to concerned about the pork meats. With chicken I always feel like it can go a little longer in a marinade so that's what I would do with it. I would have all the meat defrosted and kept in a cooler that you won't be opening until the day you smoke them. Would hate to have still frozen meat on the day of the cook.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Makes sense! I may go ahead and but the birds in a marinade and put em down low to keep them extra cool!

I pack the first 2 days worth of meat, thawed. The rest, frozen.
If anything needs a quick thaw, I place the sealed frozen meat into a pan of water to thaw.

If Cowgirl says its OK, then by golly I know its right! lol

The ice chest is closer to a fridge than a freezer so if you were to put frozen chicken breasts is the fridge they would definitely be thawed in 4 days. I vote for packing them frozen.

I've usually done it this way. Packing them frozen also allows them to serve as ice for a couple days thus reducing costs. Always a consideration for cheap SOBs like me.

I've usually done it this way. Packing them frozen also allows them to serve as ice for a couple days thus reducing costs. Always a consideration for cheap SOBs like me.

If you’re taking bottles of water with you, you can freeze some and use them for ice too! Then when they melt you can drink ice cold water. I’m cheap too... :becky:

Back