$400 Budget, Which Smoker????

Everyone likes different things ... if it were me, I'd build a UDS on casters with a clay heat sink, side door to reload the charcoal tray (oven gasketed of course), adjustable rack settings, Guru air inlet, insulate the barrel in 2" of clay and cover that with sheet metal. Add a Tel-Tru directly under the lowest rack adjustment and use a Maverick for the upper rack. And come up with another idea or two as I build away - maybe run a pellet hopper off it.

Sears/KMart both sell the ProQ around here. Neat design, and low pricepoint... but not quite as well built as WSM. That said, the WSM is $100 more expensive and does not have the additional section. I had a friend with one, and it cooked great, but parts wore out sooner, and it got rougher quicker, due to the thinner metal, etc.

As far as other $400 cookers:
The 22.5" WSM would be great
The UDS would be great.
Outside of those top loading styles:
There are some Kamado style cookers out there that are very versatile. Bayou Cypress, Grill dome, etc.
The Bandera, with the mods you will see in the Bandera 101 doc would be a great cooker.
I would also look for a used BWS Party, or other cooker. There are alot of used equipement in that range folks might be trying to unload right now.
A used Good one would also be nice.

I was under the impression that the ProQ was made of thicker material.

Not the one I saw, as it was donated for an Xmas party from the AZ distributor.

It was a nice design, but the material was thiner and there were some gaps where the parts met up. I did like the hanger bar under the hood, under the handle. Just in case you want to hang sausage or something.

I am sure it is a decent unit, as I have not cooked on one and I did not win it in the raffle.

I'd go HERE and place an order for the Huntingdon County Customs Keg Smoker. You can get it upstretched 12 inches and 2 cooking racks with enough space to cook 4-20lb turkeys! They are made from 16 ga 304 stainless and are customizable top to bottom. What could be more fun for the money?

kegkong.jpg

Ok, being new here, I came here for advice and since I just received a performance bonus from work, I am treating myself by retiring my smoker that is similar to This
(I hope posting he link doesn't violate the rules)

Anyway, I have about $400.00 to spend, so what would you suggest I buy? I am leaning toward the New Braunfels Bandera Smoker from Academy. Or Oklahoma Joe's Wild West Traditions S.E. Smoker

I smoke brisket, ribs, salmon, turkey legs, turkey breast and anything else that I think might taste good.

What would be the advantage of one over the other. I read the Bandera 101 and am not sure I want something that would need to modded so heavily.

Thank you.

Prisoner/Rick

WSM 18" or 22" plus a 22" Weber grill. You have all bases covered. The stick burner is Ok but labor intensive for long cooks. I have a Lange 84 but only use it for large meat quantities or if I have help stoking the fire.

Sears/KMart both sell the ProQ around here. Neat design, and low pricepoint... but not quite as well built as WSM. That said, the WSM is $100 more expensive and does not have the additional section. I had a friend with one, and it cooked great, but parts wore out sooner, and it got rougher quicker, due to the thinner metal, etc.

Not the one I saw, as it was donated for an Xmas party from the AZ distributor.

It was a nice design, but the material was thiner and there were some gaps where the parts met up. I did like the hanger bar under the hood, under the handle. Just in case you want to hang sausage or something.

I am sure it is a decent unit, as I have not cooked on one and I did not win it in the raffle.

Guys Sears sells a clone ..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=609552&postcount=1

The BBQ Pro has nothing to do with our company or our factory, it is a clone and judging by the price, not a very good one.
ProBBQ Ltd is the name of my company and our brand is "ProQ", so it seems they got that wrong too.
As one person (who owns an original ProQ)on another forum said "
You know what they say. Imitation is the sincerist (sp) form of flattery."

Or butts over Keri C's hog-apple baked beans. No way to duplicate these on an offset.

This isn't true. It's easy to put the beans underneath the grate in place of the drip pans I put there already.

I have a BarBChef from Barbecue's Galore. It is a decent small offset and well within your budget. But as others have said, the offsets take more attention. There are a few tiny mods that help get very even temps across the whole box if that's what you want as well.

Heck they all work --- differently. Whichever one you learn about and learn from will do nicely. So based on everyone's opinions and observations find the balance you can live with.

BBQRatings.jpg

Actually, I'd love to see something like this graded rating system for all the typical cookers that show how they rate on the above criteria on this website.

Dr KY

The one I saw was a Pro Q, as there is a distributor in Mesa AZ and they donated the smoker and some hats to raise money for a family that is having a difficult time.

It looked like a nice little smokers, but the walls appeared to me to be thinner than the WSM

Keeping in mind what has been said about a UDS or a WSM I absolutely love my bandera (thanks Larry) It is teaching me more about temp control and there is a ton of room, plus I like being able to do everything from the front and not having to worry about pulling out a top shelf to access the bottom. Just my two cents.

Dr KY

The one I saw was a Pro Q, as there is a distributor in Mesa AZ and they donated the smoker and some hats to raise money for a family that is having a difficult time.

It looked like a nice little smokers, but the walls appeared to me to be thinner than the WSM

Cool

I don't know the exact or anything about the thickness/ quality I'm only going by what I remember hearing and what was posted on the site that I quoted. Several people have done side-by-side test with the two units.

My personal opinion as a user is it's a great and very versatile cooker and suits my needs and a bit more. I have very limited yard space and up till a week ago I had to transport my 22" Weber , all my cooking gear/equipment and a bullet smoker(ProQ) in a Dodge Neon for catering and competitions. I like that it breaks down into sections yet there are no air leaks that affect controlling temps.

I guess what I'm saying here is just like others, get a cooker that suits your needs. I would love a Spicewine and a ranch kettle but I couldn't afford it at the moment.

Last edited:
I'll add my 2 cents here...for what it's worth. It all depends on what you want to do with your smoker. If you're looking for capacity...then I'd go with the Bandera. If your looking to do good backyard Q for your family and Friends go with the WSM or build a UDS or 20 :twisted:. If your looking to get into comp cooking the WSM's are hard to beat for portability and no-fuss-smokin'. It's all about the "Cook" not the cooker! :p Whatever you purchase or build will have the capability to produce good Q...once the "cook" learns how to use it. :biggrin: Good luck with your decision.

I would keep an eye on craigslist as well as local newspaper and go for something used and get the most bang for the buck. be patient and wait for it to come to you.

If you prefer new, I would put my money on the WSM (limited cooking area being the only drawback) or a drum smoker for more space.

I have the smokers listed below, and as many have said, each serves it's own function. In my late 50's, I appreciate my sleep, so overnighters are definately done on the WSM. Frankly, I only use the ECB as a tabletop and storage place anymore. For simplicity, ease of use etc., its easy to pick the UDS or WSM every time! Even when all the Mods are complete to the New Braunfels, I am sure my opinion will not change. Nothin beats my OTS for a quick steak or burger though...

Ok, being new here, I came here for advice and since I just received a performance bonus from work, I am treating myself by retiring my smoker that is similar to This
(I hope posting he link doesn't violate the rules)

Anyway, I have about $400.00 to spend, so what would you suggest I buy? I am leaning toward the New Braunfels Bandera Smoker from Academy. Or Oklahoma Joe's Wild West Traditions S.E. Smoker

I smoke brisket, ribs, salmon, turkey legs, turkey breast and anything else that I think might taste good.

What would be the advantage of one over the other. I read the Bandera 101 and am not sure I want something that would need to modded so heavily.

Thank you.

Prisoner/Rick

I've got a Bandera, and love it, but I had to mod it a little to make everything work the way I wanted. Read the Bandera101 document and you will know all you need to know. For my application I did...

Added firebrick to the fire chamber.
Added brick pavers to the smoke chamber.
Added drain holes to the bottom of the smoke chamber.
Added a through door thermometer, and several drop in remotes.
Did the silicone door gasket mod.

Once you get the hang of using it, I can get the fire going, and control temp / fuel usage to get sweet blue for about 4 hours prior to having to tend fire again.

There are probably better smokers out there, but I am silly happy with my Bandera, and if stolen, I would gladly go out and buy another one...

This is just my opinion as I only have a GOSM and sold my NB Black Diamond due to the high fuel consumption and time it took to do so. As I entertain frequently, having not to maintain the charcoal every 30 minutes is what drove me to the GOSM. Am I upset I sold the Black Diamond?? Hell yes, I could have made some mods to it and still have it. But I do love the GOSM for ease of use and small wood consumption.

Dr KY

Just to clarify things a bit, no doubt the distributor in the Arizona donated a Frontier model, which is a smaller diameter model, made from thinner material than the ProQ Excel, which is 20 inches in diameter and made from exactly the same thickness material as the WSM.
Hope this helps and compliments of the season to everyone.

Ian

Back