321 method for ribs?

3-2-1 is one of the newer methods of doing ribs. The baseline is of course NOT the 3-2-1 method but actually usinging no foil at all.

The foil method was adopted as temperature Trends went downward (in the 225 range) and the desire to make a moist set of ribs that had not been subject to longer colder smoke times was needed. Foil method has made some really great braised ribs that have one many a KCBS championship.

I am not sure at all where the foil thing comes from as far as the Texas Crutch term as No one that I know that has been making BBQ ribs or brisket ever used it. Of course, my BBQ friends predate the Nixon Administration.

Now of course let me say I am not saying don't use the foil method, it is fine and I have enjoyed many a rib done this way as it is quite the fad. I only offer this as sort of respectful correction that 3-2-1 is not baseline in my def because it is not a traditional starting point. If you define it as the accepted method, however, I would say you have a good argument that it is a baseline point. As more and more backyard grillers enter into the fray, as well as those on the comp circuit, you tend to do what the accepted mode is.

You can try Gail's version of the 3-0-1.

3 hrs in the pot and an hour on the grill! :twisted:

Please remember that small children often look at these posts not to mention those of us that petition and picket the rib boilers.

To post a pic like that is very inconsiderate.

8) Gup

Argggg! Aluminum Foil :eek:

I have used the 3-2-1 method and while it does produce good ribs its not really BBQ ribs.

When you are using the 3-2-1 method what you are actually making is braised ribs. Ribs done
this way kind of remind me of the Macdonald McRib sandwich.
As far as I'm concerned this ranks right up there with boiling ribs before BBQing them.

With that said braised ribs can be good. I have done this many times. But I really don't like ribs
that fall of the bone. I have found that when most people eat BBQ ribs they like and expect
a bit of Resistance to the meat pulling of the bone.
Although those with dentures might disagree :wink:

Personally I like to BBQ my ribs at slightly higher temps.
I also like to cut them St Louis style, pin wheel them and use a bamboo
shish-kabob skewers to secure them. They are just so much easer to
handle and cut when they are pin wheeled.

I like to handle the ribs as little as possible during the cooking process,
and when using the 3-2-1 method you are really subjecting the ribs to a lot of unnecessary manhandling.
You are less likely to rub of the rub when they are pin wheeled. Rib racks are okay
but I really hate seeing all that delicious homemade rub stuck to the rack instead of the ribs where it belongs.

Do ya'll think the 321 method for smoking ribs is the best? And do I use the rib racks or lay them flat on the grates?

I just started using rib racks and there is a difference (and it could just be in my head.) The slabs just seem to cook a little more uniform in the rack.

I use the 3-2-1 method in the racks during the "3" and "2" marks then lay them flat on the grates for the final hour. I then finish them on the Weber (glaze time.)

As mentioned in this thread, the timelines are not always going to hold true to the 3-2-1 "protocol" depending on the cut of meat, varying pit temps, pit load, weather conditions, etc. so be attentive and flexible.

-Gup

I would like to officially say this is not me talking. Nor is it any part of Popdaddy's Grimacing Vulva Studios production staff.

Argggg! Aluminum Foil :eek:

I have used the 3-2-1 method and while it does produce good ribs its not really BBQ ribs.

When you are using the 3-2-1 method what you are actually making is braised ribs. Ribs done
this way kind of remind me of the Macdonald McRib sandwich.
As far as I'm concerned this ranks right up there with boiling ribs before BBQing them.

With that said braised ribs can be good. I have done this many times. But I really don't like ribs
that fall of the bone. I have found that when most people eat BBQ ribs they like and expect
a bit of Resistance to the meat pulling of the bone.
Although those with dentures might disagree :wink:

Personally I like to BBQ my ribs at slightly higher temps.
I also like to cut them St Louis style, pin wheel them and use a bamboo
shish-kabob skewers to secure them. They are just so much easer to
handle and cut when they are pin wheeled.

I like to handle the ribs as little as possible during the cooking process,
and when using the 3-2-1 method you are really subjecting the ribs to a lot of unnecessary manhandling.
You are less likely to rub of the rub when they are pin wheeled. Rib racks are okay
but I really hate seeing all that delicious homemade rub stuck to the rack instead of the ribs where it belongs.

Back