THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1fastf7

smoked a rack of baby backs & a rack of spares,,3 2 1 method,very moist & tasty,,but possibly too tender as they tried falling apart,& bones pulled out too easy..smoked at 225-250.i like to be able to easily slice through to separate the portions,maybe next time should i try less foil time? im not complaining,,just trying to improve..

3-2-1 is a good measuring point to start with and then work from by changing the numbers up, I know for BB's its too long and if your spares just fell apart I usually change up the (2) to 1 and add a little time to the (1) at the end to firm them up.

Scott

3-2-1 is just a concept. Baby backs take less time than spares too.

Each rack of ribs will be done when the meat has pulled back from the bone about 1/2" and they droop down quite a bit if you hold them up by the end.

I have found that much more than 45 minutes for spares and 30 minutes for BBs in foil is too long for the way I like them.

Lately I have stopped using foil for ribs and think the product is better.

You just have to experiment to see what you like.

My suggestion is unless you're in a bind and need the meat to cook quick get rid of the 3-2-1 method. You can cook better Q without it.

I like to do baby backs with 2-1.5-1. Offers a slight resistasnce to the teeth which is the way I like them. Not tough nor mushy.

Try differant times until you hit upon what works best for you.

My baby back time is 2-1-1 or less. Cooked some last night at just under 300° and did a 2-1/2-1/2. Came out perfect.

The only time I use foil is to hold the ribs if they're to be held for later....if not they're eaten as soon as they come off the cooker

Back