3-2-1 method

Lemon Lime

I am new to this site and the Chef of a new team to enter our first competition in May. After doing much research in the various threads, I keep seeing the 3-2-1 method when talking about ribs. I'm sure it's out there somewhere but I don't know how to find it. Just trying to do some homework. Can anybody help me with what this is?

Lemon Lime

3 hours in the smoke,wrap in foil for 2 hours(still on smoker), unwrap and put on smoker for 1 more hour to firm up a bit(sauce if desired in the last hour).

Basically

3 hours in smoke
2 hours in foil (w/heat)
1 hour back on smoke/heat to firm up...

I'll look up some links for you in a minute.

Please head over to "Cattle Call" and introduce youself.

It's a method smoking for spare ribs. With cooker at 250*, 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours in foil, and 1 hour to firm up and sauce. For loin ribs, use 2-2-1 as a guidline. .........stan

You guys are awesome. I've been sending links to all my team to read. We're backyard guru's but now the fun begins. We've worked the Am Royal for a number of years as Meat Inspectors and finally decided to take the plunge. Question for trp1fox: sorry, but how do I get to the "Cattle Call"?

Lemon Lime

Or depending on how done the ribs are it can be 3 hours on the smoker unwrapped, 2 hours on the smoker wrapped and 1 hour in the cooler.

just watch your time in foil can overcook it, they will literally be fall off the bone.

I agree with n-2-que. I use the 3-2-1 for spares and the 2-2-1 method for Baby backs as a guide line. It's easy to cook ribs into a pulled rib spammy if you don't watch it.

Practice,practice, practice and of course taste testing all of that stuff you practice cooking. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it!!!

I agree with n-2-que. I use the 3-2-1 for spares and the 2-2-1 method for Baby backs as a guide line. It's easy to cook ribs into a pulled rib spammy if you don't watch it.

You say pulled rib sammie like it's a BAD thing! I love rib sammies. Cook 'em to fall of the bone stage (back ribs or St' Louis) and put the slab on a big loaf of french bread. pull the bones out, sauce and serve. My McRib Mod.

RIBS Yum Yum

I never heard of this method I just smoke at 250 for 4 hours and sauce for 1 hour with foil, but I 'll try this never know !!!!

Lemon Lime, so what are you cooking on??? That can make a big difference too. Personally I mostly use my drum for doing ribs and them puppies are done in 4.5 hrs at 230-240, no foil, just time over them slow burning briquets and some sweet cherry... They don't fall of the bone, but I don't want 'em to either.

Sampson, so sorry it's taken so long. Been busy practicing, new job, bad mortgage, etc. I cook on a brinkmann, offset. It's done a nice job but I'd love to upgrade. Very limited on space. I've done the 3-2-1 with some decent success. Last weekend tried using a rib-rack and with the lack of depth in the rig, tried rotating, restacking the ribs, etc., and it didn't work too well. Buddy brought over 7 slabs of St. Louis's and wanted cooked for a party. Don't think I'll be using the rib-rack in competition. Which is limiting because I'm lucky if I can fit 3 racks on my outfit.

A question I would pose....I'm in Kansas City and our first comp is a little town 30 miles away. I know sauce is important but I don't want to slather it with a heavy ketchup based sauce. Any suggestions for glazing? To look nice?

A question I would pose....I'm in Kansas City and our first comp is a little town 30 miles away. I know sauce is important but I don't want to slather it with a heavy ketchup based sauce. Any suggestions for glazing? To look nice?

What comp?

Back