THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LongRange

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
CoCo
Ok rib experts. Here is a thought I am having.

So I am thinking about bark on ribs, and wondering if there may be a new way to apply rub?

What would happen if you were cooking ribs with a wrap and you applied ALL of your rub after the wrap?

First, commercial rub might not be best for this, because I believe in salting before cooking, and commercial rub has salt. So you would need to bring your own rub to the game.

Maybe splitting the rub up into savory first and then a sugary bark application AFTER the wrap?

Has anyone played around with this idea?

I’m in the “nakid the whole way with salt and pepper” club these days so I have bonuses. Would be interested in seeing the responses though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do like a salt and pepper rub from time to time. That would be a great starting point.

Salt and pepper - wrap with whatever- rub and set.

Salt and pepper plus some spices - wrap- rub and set.

Wife really likes the 'candied' up ribs. I'll eat anything!

i don't add sugar til the wrap. If there isn't enough bark on it for my mood that day, I just spritz some Barq's Root Beer (i think technically, it is a sarsaparilla) on it post-wrap. Usually spray the wood, too.

Sure it's called a finishing rub, aka the 'goodnight kiss'. You can use this technique toward the end of about any cook to make the flavor pop. Typically a finishing rub is just a super fine grind of your favorite rub, so fine that it practically melts on contact with hot meats. I tend to use it more on pulled pork since it has never seen any rub in the first place, but it works good on chicken, especially if it's sprayed or basted.

If you want a lo or no salt finishing rub, maybe a custom blend of garlic powder, onion, powder, paprika, pepper and chile powder would refresh the flavor without adding a layer of salt.

I do something like that if I'm grilling ribs. I will salt /pepper, wrap and cook over med/hot direct until there is a bit of pullback and the fat has rendered some. Out of the wrap -hit both sides with a fine rub- until I get the color I like. But that's just on the SM- on a smoker, I'm more of a "season it, cook it, eat it" sort of fella.

Don't know why your plan would not work- ribs are cheap and a pretty fast cook. Give it a shot.

Back