3 1/2 and Down or 4 & Up šŸ–šŸ”„šŸ–

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Itā€™s interesting in these times of meat limits. Ribs Iā€™ve been blessed to always find (almost always) full bins with lots to pick from. I like the smaller spares and just wonā€™t buy a giant rack of loin back. But now, just finding ribs ā€œon demandā€ may alter my selection. I was in Samā€™s the other day and the meat limit signs were up. I almost bought a 3Pack Of loin back- two looked huge. I passed and bought a two pack of chicken.

Iā€™m going to try really hard to stay with what I like to cook&eat
3 1/2 and down spares
2 1/4 and down -loin back

Pretty much rules out multi packs. I do like those Gristles & Tips on those spares
May go look for those three packs of pork briskets. Messy, not pretty but dang good

Iā€™m 3 1/2 and down for spares and I never buy loin backs.

I havenā€™t injected anything in many years. I was perusing the condiment aisle a while back and there was BOGO discounted Tony Cā€™s injection. Two jumped into my cart. My thoughts were to use it in Chipotle Pork that I use a pan , Chipotle in Adobo with Mexican Cola. Theyā€™re still sitting in the cabinet

Perhaps inject a rack of loin heavy ā€œbaby backā€.
Inject ribs- anyone doing that?

I have seen some inject Baby Backs, but I never have. Prefer that pure pork flavor and accent with the rub and smoke. Normally just trim the excess fat, pull silver skin, and apply rub. Mostly find spares in 2 packs and babies in 3 packs. Spare are usually already cut to St Louis so dont get the "tips".
Wife prefers the baby backs so that is what I normally buy. Still have some in stock in the freezer, but staying more varied int the cooks for now.

Haven't bought BB's or Loin Backs in probably at least 5yrs. Stopped by the Butcher Shoppe on my way home from a beer run yesterday to pickup some DD Ranch Sausage and grabbed a couple of Duroc Spares just because, they have plenty and no limits.

OFF topic - Thank you Mr Adams for the pro tip on the B&B Oak Lump, used it in the drum for a couple of cooks this week, great stuff. I have a bag of the Hickory Lump also hope it's just as good but we'll see, going to stock up on some B&B Lump.

Iā€™ve never had a bad bag of B&B. Actually Hickory (green bag) is my favorite I got out early in a failed search for pig brisket. Timing off Super Walmart near me zero ribs of any kind. Meat bin thin overall. Headed to United. They had maybe 10 racks of full spares all over 4# and several ā€œxtra meatyā€ā€™loin backs. I grabbed 2 smallest of the 4 St Louis Cut that were available. Exited down the charcoal aisle where they had B&B Mesquite Lump small bags $5.97. Grabbed two. B&B all natural Briquettes are nice too. Yesterday wife wanted a Yogurt which is cool as itā€™s right across the street from a BBQ Pro Shop. Iā€™ve been wanting to try Jealous Devil Briquettes. Purchased two bags of JD.

For the last several years B&B is always available at Academy. As well I think Ace Hardware has it on sale right now.

nice!

Haven't bought BB's or Loin Backs in probably at least 5yrs. Stopped by the Butcher Shoppe on my way home from a beer run yesterday to pickup some DD Ranch Sausage and grabbed a couple of Duroc Spares just because, they have plenty and no limits.

OFF topic - Thank you Mr Adams for the pro tip on the B&B Oak Lump, used it in the drum for a couple of cooks this week, great stuff. I have a bag of the Hickory Lump also hope it's just as good but we'll see, going to stock up on some B&B Lump.
YOU LUCKY DAWG!!!! wish I could find some Duroc Spares with no limits!:-D:-D
Is it true that heritage pork tastes much better?

YOU LUCKY DAWG!!!! wish I could find some Duroc Spares with no limits!:-D:-D
Is it true that heritage pork tastes much better?
My opinion is yes they are better, I cook Ribs dry and don't wrap, they come out tasty and tender every time.

I do loin backs a couple times a year. But it is a "quick" cook, like 1.5 - 2 hours over indirect heat in the Weber Kettle. Have never considered them for low and slow real BBQ. And yes, I think 4+ for spares make for tougher, more tasteless meat.

On a side note, the tree damage to my trusty, rusty old offset was just to the legs and shelf brackets, the chamber itself did not get bent out of shape. A little fab work in the garage and she'll be puttin' out a stream of thin blue love once again.

mjb.

When my son was little in the early 90ā€™s I used to play in a golf tournament with my Dad near Kansas City. Weā€™d hit bbq joints during and after. My son loved Tony Romaā€™s baby backs. I canā€™t remember all the places we ate A Bryantā€™s-honestly Some Of The places were kinda shady, but damn the food was awesome. If a joint had more than one location Dad wanted the original. Which was weird as we didnā€™t eat at bbq joints growing up. Think he liked watching his grandson enjoy bbq ribs. I remember BBQ and French fries- something you donā€™t see a lot of here. French Fries. Medallions Of Pork
Grand BBQ sauce- medallions dressed not drowned.
ATTST: Tony Roma BAby Back Ribs. Small and a rack per person.
Good times with my Dad (RIP) and my young Son.
It was nice

Last edited:
Our Academywas out of all the B&B last week except one.Texas Sized Premium XL Lump Charcoal,Mixed Hardwood.Bought one bag for ,just because.I too prefer the green bag Hickory.I still have several bags of O.O. stashed,just because,I guess.B&B is my go to "everyday" lump now.Iam gonna hold on to that stash of O.O. until some kind of crisis hits us.:wink:

Our Academywas out of all the B&B last week except one.Texas Sized Premium XL Lump Charcoal,Mixed Hardwood.Bought one bag for ,just because.I too prefer the green bag Hickory.I still have several bags of O.O. stashed,just because,I guess.B&B is my go to "everyday" lump now.Iam gonna hold on to that stash of O.O. until some kind of crisis hits us.:wink:

As weā€™ve discussed previously the original Ozark Oak was quite amazing. Since their passing Iā€™ve tried a boatload of lump coals. Iā€™ve not found anything better than B&B. Iā€™ll continue to try other coals, there are a few Iā€™ll never try again. No need in me naming/bashing them. I enjoy trying the wide selection of rubs and coals available to our hobby
Now that B&B is stocking the small bags at United Supermarkets I may grab a few more bags B&B while theyā€™re on sale.

Went back and small B&B mesquite were replaced with small B&B oak. Bought 4. No more direct drives to look but if she asks me to fetch something, a bag or two may fall into the cart-if still on sale.

Adams, I've been seeing reports that Ozark Oak is reappearing.

The plant never went away. It's still there albeit owned by Royal Oak since the disappearance.

Maybe they have renovated the plant or expanded it and we'll see the Oak we remember from before again.

Back