THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foil only when absolutely necessary!

Holding? welllll...........:doh:

I wasnt talking about holding.. only the cooking process.

We try not have to hold the ribs at a contest. I have ruined to many slabs while they were done early and sat in the cambro. In fact, we are usually scrambling trying to get them set in time for 1230 and they are still in the pit(unfoiled). They go in around 7(spares).

But yes, Uf your talking abotu holding too, if they are done early, I WILL foil to hold. Again, i try not to get into that predicament.. im not happy if it happens. If another team mate is doing ribs, he uses an open foil boat in his technique. I dont always do that. it depends I guess.

In troy, it was just Scott and I. We were 2 men down and we were under the gun, so we did foil to speed things up. We also added some peach slices to the foil and did what we called "old school", but it was out of the norm.

I totally agree with the Poobah! Although it actually comes down to timing and technique. There are many (Slap yo Daddy comes to mind) that foil at some point in their process that do exceedingly well. We have been working on our ribs far longer than we have been competing and used the crutch all the time. But I think its called a crutch for a reason - at some point things "heal" and you get rid of the crutch. Like others, foiling for my team is too big a risk and can overcook an otherwise perfect rib in short order and turn the texture in a meely mess!

If your behind schedule (or have hungry guests) then you may have no alternative but I would crank up the heat before foiling especially if your a 225 cook. Depending on when the ribs go on, we have success anywhere between 225 and 275 grate temp on our WSM's - no higher though. If ahead of schedule or cooking faster we will pull and tent loosely then put back on a 1/2 hour or so out at 275 for glazing.

Reality is though, at some point you have to trust your recipe, technique and smoker and tweak only. Reinventing the wheel every time you hear how the "other guy" does it will get you nowhere. Trust your instincts!

Smokesman; Reinventing the wheel every time you hear how the "other guy" does it will get you nowhere. Trust your instincts![/QUOTE said:
Great advise,
Took me 4-5 contests to figure that one out.....

Back