2nd comp - Rate my box plz

CentralOhioBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Finished 24th out of 41 teams overall. 18th in Pork, 19th Brisket, 23rd Chicken, and 28th Ribs.

Consistently getting bad scores with Ribs (well, 2x in a row, my only comps) I think the flavor is awesome, tenderness is great, they just don't pack the punch I need. I think i need to make a finishing rub to hit them with. I've also been cutting double cuts which make for uneven bones. I'm going to practice normal bone slicing to make the box more uniform.

FYI these are action pics, the boxes are 100% finished but the best I have. Please, any and all feedback would be helpful!

Last edited:
follow up to the pic - regarding the pork box. You're looking at the money muscle, tubes in the middle, pulled to the right, and chucks of the horn to the left in case anyone was wondering. Too much going on?

If you think the flavor needs something then keep on practicing and you will get there. One of the best things about bbq comps is the comradery among competitors. Do not be afraid to approach and ask for help.

The biggest thing I notice is you need to work on uniformity. Take no offense to this as I am still very much a novice. The first thing the judges do is taste with their eyes, not that your que looks bad in any way as I'd eat that every chance I get. Practice Practice Practice, being in the middle of the pack is not bad at all for your second comp!

Was this a KCBS sanctioned comp? I'll have comments once I know that.

Yes this was KCBS sanctioned. Ohio veterans cook off

OK... Thanks.

First, please take this in the spirit in which it is given. It may sound harsh, but hopefully it will help.

1. In general, the boxes look sloppy. Try to keep things neat and clean. That includes garnish. Yes, garnish is not supposed to be judged, but sloppy garnish will take away from the overall impression. Try not to give the judges anything to distract them from the meat.
2. Again, in general, the meat looks dry. It may not be, but a quick spritz of apple juice or water before you close the box will help a lot!

Now for the boxes...

Chicken - I assume that you put the 6th piece in there :-D. The pieces are odd shaped and not uniform Try to trim the chicken so the pieces are basically the same shape and size. They will look better in the box and similar sizes cook more evenly. The sauce is thin and gloppy. Try thinning the sauce and dipping the pieces and then let them drain a bit on a rack. We use hot sauce and don't put it back in the cooker and have been getting better appearance scores.

Ribs - It looks like you tossed the ribs into the box :-D. Double cuts are fine, but they need to be uniform. I prefer single cuts, and do a two layer presentation with spares, and the bones in each layer are sequential and from the same rack so they lay next to each other cleanly. The ribs also look dull. A light finishing glaze at the end will help a lot!

Pork - Don't put anything in the box that is not your best product. Don't feel compelled to put so many types of pork in the box if they are not all killer! One bad sample will bring down your score! For the money muscle, I am not a fan of the big brown turd look :becky: Fan out the slices. It looks better.

Brisket - Probably the best box. Clean up the face of the slices with some tweezers and a dry brush to get rid of the gunk, and dip in us jus or spritz to give it some shine. It looks more appealing and moister.

What were your scores?

1) Your chicken is going to get a 1 by one judge.
2) The ribs are not uniform in length or color The Hollywood cut gains no extra points.
3) The pork box looks disjointed and dry. Remember, the judge has to taste one of each different sample you put in the box. This sets you up for one item to score lower, dragging your score down. I usually see a max of three items in a pork box, with two probably being most common.
4) The brisket box looks the best of the four.

Remember, it is hard to give an honest judging from an online photo, especially when they are small pictures.

I'd like to praise your use of sauce/au jus. Nice sheen without being glopped on.

Fantastic feed back guys, really appreciate you taking your time to give it to me. All is very useful.

Interesting thing about my scoring, my chicken was a 165 something and my highest score, yet I thought it was bottom 2, behind my brisket which ended up dry for some reason. My burnt ends were great, slices dry dry dry yet I scored out well. I did let the slice bath in Au jus but I can't envision that covering it up totally.
When you say my chicken will get a one by one judge, what do you mean? I turned in 6 thighs, the pic was taken as I put the box together.
Do judges have a preference on parts of the butt they want to see? How about a preference of baby backs over spares?

Your picture of the chicken box only showed 5 pieces and that is why sawbones said you would get a 1. If a judge doesn't get a piece to judge, his or her score will be a 1.

Spares seem to score better than baby backs in most competitions.

I've only judged one KCBS comp, so take that for what you will.

Ribs - as mentioned already, they look kind of hastily thrown in there. They also don't look uniform in shape. The rib boxes I think look the best are where the ribs sort of "fit" together and make it look like a single rack (like the Plowboy's box linked above). Also, the finish on the ribs doesn't look uniform either, though the pic is kind of small and hard to discern fully.

Pork - too much going on. Maybe do sliced MM and tubes only? I got boxes like that in the comp I judged and while the MM was great, I had to mark down due to the other pieces that required sampling, and vice versa. Had a brisket box like that...great flat but chewy, fatty burnt ends. Their score would have been higher with just flat. I get that everyone wants burnt ends in the box but if the meat isn't as good, leave it out.

Chicken - not uniform in shape nor finish. Chicken is my least practiced category so I can sympathize, it's not easy to do and sometimes what looks uniform uncooked looks misshapen after cooking. Not sure how many thighs you cooked but maybe consider doing more to give yourself a better selection if you were struggling to find matches.

Brisket - I think this is the best looking box but second the comment about things "stuck" to the face of the brisket. I would have cut less off the ends too, let the flat fill out the box a bit more maybe.

Across all the boxes the garnish looks sloppy...maybe that's the nature of the beast with parsley, but maybe kale or another garnish type (like rolled up then crossed section lettuce?) would be easier? Also, I had issues where I kept getting parsley bits stuck to the food. I tried to pick them off before eating but inevitably ate some. I made a point not to mark down for garnish stuck to the sticky sauce but as a cook I'd be concerned that maybe that would skew the flavor of my meat some how. Who knows what another judge might think of it. Mixing two garnishes kind of complicates the look too I think.

I saw "worse" boxes in the one comp I did judge though, so you're further ahead than others for sure. Also, when I do my first comp I plan to include enough meat for the table captain. Felt bad for the guy, almost everyone did exactly 6 portions. Not that it makes a difference from the scoring perspective, that's a lot of time to invest and not get to eat much food :p

I plan to do a couple practice runs in the coming weeks including presentation in the boxes, so feel free to critique mine when the time comes, I'm sure it's harder than it looks so props for putting it out there.

I've done quite well with just pulled pork, you don't need all that to walk with pork. Many teams will turn in 2-4 types of pork, but I suggest you start with basics and do well with that first, then up your game to MM, do well with that, and continue...Same with brisket and burnt ends, nail slices then add burnt ends. I also feel like the judges haven't earned my burnt ends and keep them for myself.

When you say my chicken will get a one by one judge, what do you mean? I turned in 6 thighs, the pic was taken as I put the box together.
Do judges have a preference on parts of the butt they want to see? How about a preference of baby backs over spares?

Chicken -- just razzing you.

Ribs -- I see far more spares than baby backs. No preference -- judges aren't allowed to have a preference. :twitch: At home, I only cook spares unless I have a special request from family/friends.

Pork -- Pulled pork is just fine. I see a lot of boxes with one big mound of PP. Some cooks put out a little extra effort and will take an ice cream scoop and make 6 mounds of PP, one for each judge. Simple, and makes a nice presentation. I do appreciate the cook who shows their skill at nailing the MM and PP.

Brisket -- don't feel obligated to put in burnt ends.

Would you mind sharing your appearance scores? Just curious.

Hard to do with the small pictures. Based on what we have:

C-8, R-7, P-7, B-9

It is not really fair to judge a picture for a number of reasons. Glare can make an entry look splotchy. Something that looks dry may look moist in real time. etc., etc.

For whatever its worth here are my boxes from the same contest, lighting wasn't great in the trailer so everything looks a little dark in the photos. Appearance scores were all 9s except for 1 8 in chicken and 1 8 in pork. Check out our facebook page and you'll see we post most of our boxes if you want more references. Feel free to stop by and chat at any of the remaining Ohio comps this year. We are signed up for all of them.

19884452_1882952205287779_7261438059902270969_n.jpg

I'm glad BigLegga already posted, because I was about to post the same thing! Stop by our site at any of the remaining Ohio comps and let's chat.

Additionally, I live closer to you than Legga, and I can be bribed with a good IPA. :)

I was right next to you, you let us try your ribs and chicken. Both were awesome. Loved the finishing rub on your ribs. I'll take you up on that offer to chat. I'll be in Nelsonville for sure..

Back