$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

I just bought one and seasoned it. Going to try smoking a prime rib. Any advice would be nice. Thanks. anyone going to order the smoke plate for this. Comes out on the 13th.

Btw, i sold my CG outlaw for this, so only experience i have is with offset smokers. Guess ill need to make my own diffuser before i smoke?

Last edited:
As a diffuser, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a Weber charcoal grate. It will rest on the CGK's flanges. Then use a 16-inch pizza pan for a diffuser. You may decide you don't need a stone.

Ok. I guess there is no real benefit to the stone then.

I might disagree with 'no benefit' on the Smokin' Stone.

I'm trying to get one from Char-Griller to do a review. I'm not sure if they are going to give me one or not but I have asked.

My thoughts on the discussion of the diffusers is pretty simple.

1. I do not believe that a 'heat sync' of any kind is necessary in a Kamado, even the metal ones like the big steel keg or the Akorn. Especially not in the ceramic models.

2. As far as the Akorn is concerned, I think the Smokin' Stone might be the best diffuser option when you want to cook indirect because of the amount of venting space around the edges of that stone. I think the 16" pizza pan might be a little too large of a diffuser when you want to cook something like a pizza at really high temperatures. It is causing a very high heat buildup in the bottom portion of the cooker that might be damaging the outside finish.

For $40 shipped im buying it. Susie has been nice enough answering my questions.
Should ship Friday 13 she said.

I bought a generic smoker cover from lowes today that fit perfect.

Last edited:
For $40 shipped im buying it. Susie has been nice enough answering my questions.
Should ship Friday 13 she said.

They may have backed up their shipping date again. I heard another source quoting them as estimating 3rd-4th week of April :(

Well i made a small modification today. There was a considerable gap where the riveted piece meets the bowl. i could see the insulation. I just took a cloth and layered it onto the kooker and hammer around until it was flat like the rest.

This was on the left side back quarter. It worker out perfect.

I am kinda inexperienced with cast iron. I have seasoned it and understand that if I cook at a high temp then I would need to re-season it. If I am cooking a low temperatures how often should I season it in the future.

Cris

Cris,

I always give it a clean and rub after cooking with a little brushed oil. That's what i did with my previous outlaw grill.

Just picked up a Big Red from Menards, yet to do a first cook :(

20120410_190854.jpg

20120410_190907.jpg

20120410_191009.jpg

I am using a 16 inch clay saucer. So far so good. Just line it with tinfoil for easy cleanup.

Got this for my birthday!
My wife informed mr that all the 5 lowes were sold out & she got this at Kroger. Same price only cosmetic differences.
78fcbed4.jpg

Back