$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

I would love a website for Akorn owners. I do not have mine yet but will purchase as soon as I can.

Here's my new CG Akorn in it's new home. (Yeah, I had a lot of parts left over after assembly)
3-12-12014.jpg

Man that is to cool!!!!I love it:clap2::clap::thumb:

Is everyone using lump? Wondering if lower temp could be achieved with charcoal instead. I find lump burns a little hotter than charcoal.

Is everyone using lump? Wondering if lower temp could be achieved with charcoal instead. I find lump burns a little hotter than charcoal.

I think you would get a creasote buildup using charcoal. I've been using Wicked Good Lump in mine with very good results.

I am loving all the great info and pics everyone has been posting! My father is coming over tomorrow and we're going to be putting this bad boy together. Can't wait!

I am going to be using the Weber 22.5 replacement charcoal grate like JM does. I will also be using a terra-cotta saucer as a heat diffuser / drip pan.

I just picked up some Publix GreenWise Lump Charcoal to use in it. I have used it before and really like it.

Thanks again everyone for sharing all your great pics and info on the Akorn:thumb:

Jay

I finally had the time to watch all three videos and I just wanted to say thanks for the great review.. I didn't give this product much of a second thought when I gave it a glance at Lowe's but you've almost got me sold on one of these bad boys!

Got to put together my Kamado today. The instructions were reasonably clear but did leave room for interpretation. Only two screws missing. No big deal. However I made a choice to take the time to season the cast iron grate with a method I use with my pots.

I posted this method a long while back. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98158

I involves the use of flax seed oil. It takes time, but the results are worth the time it takes. I'll let you know how it works.

The 225° Test - Failure but I still think it's possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZ05bsnxLM

H

I would try it again, but with a Royal Oak or another premium charcoal. Also, I have even heard from some seasoned GreEn Egg enthusiasts that doing cooks at 225 and below can be a challenge. I would make sure you take out the fire box, clean out the bottom real well. Use only brand new coals for this cook. Layer the lump so the larger pieces are on the bottom and smaller on top. I have achieved getting my kamado down to that temp, but I have also failed a number of times as well, sometimes it has a mind of its own and wants to settle around 270 or so.
Also, one way to determine if your cooker is leaking air. Fill your fire box up fairly full, cook a steak, or something else that will be fairly quick and hot. Then, when you are done, shut down all the vents. If the fire goes out and you have a good amount of coals left over in the morning, your cooker is air tight. Otherwise, you will open up a big old pot of ashes the next morning.

H

I would try it again, but with a Royal Oak or another premium charcoal. Also, I have even heard from some seasoned GreEn Egg enthusiasts that doing cooks at 225 and below can be a challenge. I would make sure you take out the fire box, clean out the bottom real well. Use only brand new coals for this cook. Layer the lump so the larger pieces are on the bottom and smaller on top. I have achieved getting my kamado down to that temp, but I have also failed a number of times as well, sometimes it has a mind of its own and wants to settle around 270 or so.
Also, one way to determine if your cooker is leaking air. Fill your fire box up fairly full, cook a steak, or something else that will be fairly quick and hot. Then, when you are done, shut down all the vents. If the fire goes out and you have a good amount of coals left over in the morning, your cooker is air tight. Otherwise, you will open up a big old pot of ashes the next morning.
I agree with Ross. If the coals extinguish after shutting down the vents, then it's airtight. Mine is airtight with no mods and I'll bet everyone else's CG Akorn is also so the trick to low temps is fuel type, fuel amount and precise air vent control.

Most grills will snuff out the charcoal when all the vents are closed even if they have a small air leak. My Weber kettle will even do that and I know it is not air tight. You have a point where there is not enough oxygen to sustain a burn even though there is some.

I agree with Ross. If the coals extinguish after shutting down the vents, then it's airtight. Mine is airtight with no mods and I'll bet everyone else's CG Akorn is also so the trick to low temps is fuel type, fuel amount and precise air vent control.

Most grills will snuff out the charcoal when all the vents are closed even if they have a small air leak. My Weber kettle will even do that and I know it is not air tight. You have a point where there is not enough oxygen to sustain a burn even though there is some.

Correct. The AMOUNT of time is what's a better indicator. If the coals were sucked into space, the fire would be out immediately. That not withstanding, if you close off the air and 60 minutes later the coals are out, that's pretty impressive, as they used up the air in the Acorn and then snuffed.

Small leaks will give those coals a very slow burn until they finally die out. I'm seeing 4 hours or so like JM. I'm not complaining, and I'll try to tweak it a bit with silicone, but heat management seems ok thus far. I just have to be careful not to let those coals get overfed, or it's 300 degrees, unless I just try to shut everything down. :(

Coals: :mad2: Me: :hand:

JM, I see that you (and maybe some others as well) sealed the removable ash pan. I guess you plan to clean out the cooker from the top side from now on? Have you, or do you have plans to use some type of ash pan? I would be interested to know whay your thoughts are on that. I have not purchased the CGK yet but I plan to do so.

I picked up the Menards version of the Akorn last week ($250 after rebate). I put it together pretty quick and only had one issue with the hinge - I had to space it off the base by 3/8" on one side to get the top to line up when closed. I plan to call to see if I can get a new hinge under warranty.

I did a hot and fast pork butt yesterday and it turn out great! I used the temp gauge on the unit as I don't have a probe gauge yet (it's in the mail!). I was able to keep the temp down at a 250 indicated for a bit but then I bumped it back up to 300 for the cook.

I'm coming from a modded ECB and I don't see myself going back to it now.

Attachments

• akorn.jpg
    akorn.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 473
  • akorn2.jpg
    akorn2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 476
I've had my Acorn for about a week now. I bought it to use as a grill and it works great. I have been using clay flower pot bases in place of the water pan in my WSM for years so I'll no doubt put one in this cooker and toss a on butt sometime and do a long cook. 5 cooks (grilling from 400-600 dome therm) and have used less than a bag of RO. I start 3/4 chimney of lump and let her go. Close the vents down after the cook and there is always some charcoal left...enough for another cook one time..

JM, I see that you (and maybe some others as well) sealed the removable ash pan. I guess you plan to clean out the cooker from the top side from now on? Have you, or do you have plans to use some type of ash pan? I would be interested to know whay your thoughts are on that. I have not purchased the CGK yet but I plan to do so.

It's not sealed. It's still removable.

For what its's worth, I. too, had to seal the bottom vent of my large Vision Kamado grill from Costco after not being able to maintain a consistently long low and slow. Like you, I removed the entire vent and then I place a bead of furnace cement between it and the ceramic wall. When removing the vent, I noticed the the manufacturer had the screws holding on the vent extremely loose, like they were hardly hand tight. I tightened them pretty snug, then I was worried that the ceramic might expand and crack around the screw holes, because of over tightening. So far, I have had no problems. I do believe that virtually anything that is mass-produced, and comes 80% preassembled, needs to be thoroughly checked out.

I have created a fan club of sorts for Kamado cooking :) If you are interested, please PM me for more information.

Back