THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i decided to go with a combination approach to solving this.

CAM00854_zpsp3etibrw.jpg

First, i cut and welded some support gussets for the axle so i could remove the middle while still having the shorter ones be well supported.

CAM00855_zpsatlrlamr.jpg

After some more cutting and grinding, the axle was now out of the way, so i cut down the lip of the crossbar between the wheels so that it was short enough to not interfere with the coal basket. I also cut another crossbar to support the back end of the fire box.

CAM00856_zpstaeuovkk.jpg

Fits pretty good, but still might tweek it slightly.

Smoke transfer tube is plenty long enough to reach down to the FB and stick a few inches up into the cooking chamber. In fact, might be a little too long. Might have to cut it down a little.

Thanks for looking!

Ho. Ly. Crap it has been a long time since I've been able to get anything done on the rig.

Finally got some time today.

I embiggened the hole in the cooking chamber to allow the smoke transfer tube to fit thru.

CAM00874_zpsxnnfbmxu.jpg

Being my first big build and first time ever fabricating anything, the tube didn't quite hit the fire box squarely.

I trimmed about 3/8" off the back side of the transfer tube and also made the slot where the FB end passes between the 2 uprights of the frame.

CAM00875_zpslkhavlgc.jpg

Was able to get a much better connection- only had a slight gap in the back but was easily filled in during welding.

In this pic you can see how the transfer tube is at a slight angle.

CAM00876_zpsbsqqz5rv.jpg

So i started welding around the joint.

CAM00877_zpsd706ydl5.jpg

I get around 2 sides of the transfer tube and... welder craps out.

I go down to the basement to check the breakers- they're fine.

&^^%%#^&*&^%^$%#$@#@%$%$(*(*&&^!!!!!!!

Something is wrong with the welder itself. Gonna have to do some research and hopefully be able to fix it cheaply. Otherwise, i'll have to save up for a new welder and it'll be another 6 months before I can work on the pit again.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

are you sure it just didn't overheat? Mine is only rated to weld 2 minutes out of 10, it will shut down if I push it too hard. If that's the case, all you need to do is let it cool down.

Pretty sure it's not a duty cycle thing. Usually when that happens, the overheat light comes on and the fan keeps going to cool the unit down.

This happened when I wasn't even welding anything. I was moving the pit around to weld the other side- the overheat light never came on and I heard the fan just suddenly cut out.

I will take a look at it later and try to turn it on again. Also gonna look and see if I can find the box and the manual. Maybe there's an internal fuse or something.

Back