25lb chuck cook

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Last night was meeting night in the firehouse. Figuring everyone was burned out on ham and turkey, what other choice is there besides a nice big chuck? Local Shoprite had a $2.49/lb sale...and with about 25-30 people to feed...I told the butcher I'll take the biggest one they had.

He brought out this baby...looked me straight in the eye....and asked me what the heck I was going to do with so much chuck. I gave him a smile and said "smoke it". He looked like a deer in the headlights.

Anyway....because I like bark...and because it would cut cook time down....I cut it into 3 pieces. Rubbed with some sea salt and black pepper and into my beautiful UDS. I don't have a thermometer on it...I just go by the feel of the outside of the drum and how much if any sizzle I hear inside the drum.

At about 5 hours it got decent enough bark to where I could wrap them. Gave them another couple hours wrapped so they would soften up a little more (and cut the cook time down). Then into the trays (and the oven) wrapped tightly with peppers, onions, beef broth, and some drippings from the meat.

Maybe 3 hours after that, it was time for the unveiling. Served on kaiser rolls or just on a plate no roll...with potato chips for a side. They guys were happy and I got to cook/play on the fire dept's dime..:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Last edited:
This is my kind of cook right here. I cook a good bit of whole beef shoulder myself so this really gets my attention. Awesome job and great post brother:thumb:

Man, that looks good. Not to highjack, but is that the foil from Sam's in the first picture? Do you like it?

It is the same foil you get at SAMs and it is very good foil.

But make sure you get the heavy they have two different thicknesses the light stuff is to thin for wrapping.

Man, that looks good. Not to highjack, but is that the foil from Sam's in the first picture? Do you like it?

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah...it's Sam's heavy duty foil...and it's awesome. It's worth the extra few dollars for sure. It gives guys like me a little more margin of error regarding tearing foil when you don't want tears...:biggrin1::biggrin1:

This is my kind of cook right here. I cook a good bit of whole beef shoulder myself so this really gets my attention. Awesome job and great post brother:thumb:

Thank you.....I remember when I joined this site I was cooking ribs, chicken, etc and loving it. Then.....like seeing a mirage on the horizon....I got my first glimpse of a shoulder clod and a chuck roll. I was absolutely blown away. Ever since then.....when I really need a good BBQ fix...I go big beef....

Damn that looks good. I don't cook mine till it's pullable mainly so I can throw my smoked chuck steak into Chili, but maybe I'll try this one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
"...I looks delicious. I got to cook/play on the TAXPAYER's dime.."
Fixed that for you..."

Well, if it makes a difference we are a VOLUNTEER fire department. That means...in case you didn't know....I get up at 2AM to go help people, most of whom I've never even met, for nothing more than the satisfaction of helping them. True, our budget (approx $70,000 for the entire year) comes from tax payers so in that respect you are correct. However, we also do fund raisers, boot drops (where we stand at an intersection basically begging people for pennies) and other things to raise money just so we have enough to respond to calls throughout the year.

This is also a once a month dinner for our dept...not every night or even every week....it's once a MONTH. That being said, I do appreciate you "fixing" my statement. My bad I guess.....

I looks delicious.

Fixed that for you.

This is what you chose to "fix"? You do know that in Firehouses all around the country these guys cook meals to feed the house all the time right?? You know food doesn't magically appear? So all around the country there are firemen cooking on the "taxpayers dime". And for all they do I say it is money well spent :clap2::becky:.

Thank you for volunteering!

Back