THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I go 275 on my offset. I think fat renders better cooking at 275 on my pit.

If I had a smaller pit though I'd probably start out at a lower temperature. I'd want to make sure the temp i want to cook at isn't too hot for that pit.

I think it all depends on the bbqing equipment you’re cooking on. Everyone’s desired smoke production requirements are different… Pellet Grills in general, produce more desired smoke at lower temperatures. There set it and forget it ease and stable temps makes them very desirable, but their lack of strong smoke production above 275* is their main trade off. Being able to bbq at 275*-325* degrees and still get the smoke flavor profile that I desire is a huge benefit to me and is the main reason I primarily use my GF smoker now. My modified Pellet Pro Austin XL, still does a great job of producing smoke above 275* degrees… It just requires more work. I use a Smoke basket and a hardwood burning smoke generator at the same time to accomplish the goal of the desired smoke. It kinda works like the IronSide Wood burning Pellet Smoker, but at a $1000.00 less in cost investment. Every Smoker has their pros and cons. Non modified Pellet Grills can be bumped up in temp to start a bbq, but the desired smoke flavor profile won’t be the same as when bbqing at 225* degrees or lower to start a cook. The 225* degree start, set temp is primarily a pellet grill thing. .02

Last edited:
I agree it is more about where your cooker wants to run than chasing some desired temp

The LSG and Humphrey's like to run at 275 so that is where they sit most of the time unless I want to run hotter for chicken or turkey.

For smoking on the Primo, I like getting it settled in at 225 for about an hour then I add the meat, don't change any of the vents and just the extra air from opening the cover one time to add the meat will get me a slow temp ramp up to 275-285 over the next 6 hours. It will then settle in there for however much longer is needed.

I run at 227° unless I want to cook faster then I bump it up to 268°

R2abc9v.gif

When I first started I was in 225 camp and thought anything higher was not bbq. Then started competing and hated time frame and lack of sleep. Bumped up 275-300 and appearance really improved in all meats and won many more awards compared 225

Now I throw a log on fire and if its 275 great. 350 thats fine too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

275-300 is my sweet spot. I run a stick burner and that's the temp it likes. I don't mind 15-20 degree swings. I tried 225 numerous times and it required a smaller fire and a lot more attention. Also I shave off a few hours of cook time running at higher temperature.

I found no noticeable difference between cooking at 225 vs 275 except my food took considerably less time to cook! I think it was around 2010 or thereabouts that hot 'n fast started to take hold, so I gave it a try and never looked back.

I prefer 275 when I had my Shirley's or using my WSM. All the pellet cookers I Have owned, start off much lower, which in my mind produced a better result.

I've spent some time (years) in the 225 camp. I've experimented and determined that either works fine. Often I use a multi-stage approach these days and honestly, I don't think the food comes out better or worse.

Ribs - multi-temps most of the time.
Chicken - high all the time.
Brisket - I think the rest is more important than the temp.

In a nutshell, I do not notice any difference in the quality of the meat I smoke between the traditional 225 to a more higher heat like 250-275. The benefits of a faster smoke, less stressful day of smoking, and generally having the meat done with time to rest and have for a meal are perfect for me. I won't go back to 225.

I cannot agree with your statements more. I went the same route (check all the things all the time to lid thermometer and thermapen) and everything is so much better now: cooks are enjoyable, and food is tastier.

275° or there abouts because that's where the Weekender likes running.

The drum prefers closer to 300° but I haven't run that since I got the Humphreys last October.

The stick burner likes to run 275-300 and so that’s where I cook at. Now, who knows what the pit barrel is doing but I’m sure it’s not 225…

My MAK likes to run at wherever I set it. I usually start at 225 thinking it will result in a stronger smoke flavor but not really sure it does better than at 275.

Back