22 lbs whole beef rib from Costco - what do I do with it?

smoky_smokerson

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Ed
Hey folks!

My dad knows how much I love cooking meat. He got this beautiful 22lbs AAA "whole beef rib" at Costco up in Canada this weekend (see pics). And I'm like...Yowza! I can't mess this up :-D I'd like to draw on collective brethren wisdom here :)

Is this meant to be cooked in one piece? There's a good 3-4 inches of meat on top of the bones, and I wonder if there's any way I can cook it through, without drying it up. Is part of the meat on top of the bones meant to be removed to be cooked separately?

Any one able to tell me what part of ribs this is? short, chuck, plate, etc? It's sold as "whole beef rib". We rarely get this cut at Costco, and I'm pretty excited, but messing up a big/expensive cut like this would be disastrous.

Finally, is this actually meant for smoking, braising, or just an oven roast? I've smoked beef back ribs in the past, there was usually little meat on top of the bones, and it was usually pretty straight forward. Now, I've got no clue what to do with this :S

Appreciate the help folks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210326_143459898.jpg
    PXL_20210326_143459898.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 499
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 5.13.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 5.13.48 PM.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 494
  • PXL_20210326_143509653.jpg
    PXL_20210326_143509653.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 498
Interesting. So, if a ribeye roast, I'd need to separate it in 3 pieces with about 3 bones in each? I wouldn't think that i could cook this whole?

Looks like a rib roast, but can only tell for sure from the side. I can't imagine they'd slice off the cap, but who knows. You can definitely cook them whole if you've got a friend or two over, but most prefer to cut them smaller so there are more end pieces. Cooking times don't change too much. Here is a thread with a bit of information in it:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150482

Personally I'd cut off the bones with a fair amount of meat to cook as the back ribs that they are...Love em...
Next I'd save a 3-4 pound roast for the smoker...
The rest would get sliced into steaks for the grill...

Great score :thumb:

All I can make out is the "Cote de Boeuf" sign which Google translates as "Prime Rib" ", but as others have said, that just does not look thick enough.

If it is a prime rib, with your listed equipment, Reverse sear. Lo 'n slo indirect until about 10 -15 degrees below final temp you're looking for. Then a sear of about 2 minutes each on all sides and ends over direct.

simple seasoning. mostly spg. Lots of variations. Pull, tent. Rest for a half hour or so. Slice to chosen size.
Serve with sides. Must include flaming hot horseradish as an option (Atomic Brand :thumb:)
Enjoy!

Thanks a lot folks! Super helpful :)

Yep - I think you're right: prime rib. (see added pics from the side). I think the cap is still there, although I could be wrong. I counted 13 ribs - seems standard.

As I'm definitely freezing some of them separately, I think this following link probably gives insights as to where I should separate the ribs, to make sure I cook each section of rib the right way :)

https://www.homesteadmeatsevanston.com/post/13-ribs-that-will-make-your-mouth-happy

Attachments

• PXL_20210329_025134879.jpg
    PXL_20210329_025134879.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 398
  • PXL_20210329_025141155.jpg
    PXL_20210329_025141155.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 396
  • PXL_20210329_025146503.jpg
    PXL_20210329_025146503.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 397
You could trim, tie and do it like this?
roast-rib-eye-with-wild-mushroom-sauce-14841-1.jpg

A rib eye is always better on the bone.

What a great Dad. I would portion it, however, your family would be most accustomed to eat it. If you do roasts foodsaver (I just found out) has expandable bags. They work great. I put a plate cut 3 bone beef rib in one and it was swimming in it :-D

you cook it w/ the bones in, looks more impressive. THEN cut the bones out when slicing.

Low and slow then sear it, OR if you are running an offset, i find you dont really need the sear.

Thats a beautiful CHUNK of meat!

rb

oh wooow! beautiful picture, bone in is definitely beautiful once cooked :)
thanks on the messages team - it's been partitioned, and borrowed my relative's vacuum sealer, pieces to be frozen. Will be a beautiful feast next weekend for Easter!

If it ends up being sold again at Costco, especially on sale - won't hesitate and will jump on it :)

^^^ Probly should not have frozen it you know. If you have it in vac seal it will keep well enough and age a bit.

whoa, first time I hear about this - definitely something I need to learn :-D Once vacuum sealed, I can just leave it in the fridge for a while?

You are an extraordinarily lucky man indeed. With an awesome Dad!

I bought a very similar whole beef rib roast from Costco. Ate half at Christmas, froze the other half and ate about a month ago.

I am by no means an expert, but the second meal turned out fantastic. Here's a post if your interested:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289857

Thirdeye has a pretty good blog post that helped me out as well:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

There are probably 100s or prime rib posts on here so find one you like and make it happen!

Back