2015 Memphis in May WCBCC Thread

Monday is fine! Most teams loading in big trailers or stuff like that try to get in on Saturday, but since Weber is providing you with tents and grills you should be fine bringing in your smoker and the rest of your gear that Monday / Tuesday afternoon and setting everything up.

Classic Party has an exclusive contract to rent flooring and they are very expensive. You can build your own (4x8 plywood on top of pallets or a 2x4 frame) but I'm guessing that's too much work/hassle.
This is a link to their tent/floor/table/chair/etc rental pricing.

You will want to be cautious to time your flooring install with Classic party if you're not loading in your smoker until Monday or Tuesday. Once your floor is down you might not have access to drive your smoker to the back side of your lot. Booths are VERY close together and most people will have floors/fences/tents in place by Monday PM / Tuesday.

For rental refrigeration, the easiest option are the "Reddi-Ice" rental machines. They are large (6-7' long by 2-3' deep and 5' tall) ice vending freezers that can be set to keep things very cold but not frozen. They are about $200USD each and that includes delivery and pick up at your spot. They can be reached at (901) 743-4030.

how much decorative flair is going into the booth?

Not much, we are working out arrangements, right now, a lot of our ideas go down because of fire safety issues. You cant have stuff hanging of the boot that is no flamme retardant right?

Fire regulations for this year's festival:
MIM%20BBQfest%20Fire%20Rules.png

We have our old floor that we are looking to possibly sell. We upgraded to scaffold this year.

Photo-May-11-12-33-29-PM.jpg

It is 35 4x4 3/4 inch plywood squares with 2x4's as bracers. 20ftx32ft area. That size floor to rent would be $1400 from Classic before 4/17/2015. After 4/17 it is $1555

We would normally ask $1100, but for a Brethren we will let it go for $900.
Let me know if y'all are interested.

Last edited:
Thats a 220v line? I think we bought only 110v boxes, might need to change one.

Nope! They are 110V. We get 3 every year. They SAY they require a dedicated 20 amp / 110V circuit but they don't enforce it. That said, I wouldn't put any additional power-hungry devices on the same circuit or you will risk tripping breakers.. and nobody likes showing up one morning to find their refrigeration hasn't been running all night. :)

That said if your booth only calls for some phone chargers, a couple small lights, etc, you should be fine with an ice machine sharing the circuit.

Monday is fine! Most teams loading in big trailers or stuff like that try to get in on Saturday, but since Weber is providing you with tents and grills you should be fine bringing in your smoker and the rest of your gear that Monday / Tuesday afternoon and setting everything up.

Classic Party has an exclusive contract to rent flooring and they are very expensive. You can build your own (4x8 plywood on top of pallets or a 2x4 frame) but I'm guessing that's too much work/hassle.
This is a link to their tent/floor/table/chair/etc rental pricing.

You will want to be cautious to time your flooring install with Classic party if you're not loading in your smoker until Monday or Tuesday. Once your floor is down you might not have access to drive your smoker to the back side of your lot. Booths are VERY close together and most people will have floors/fences/tents in place by Monday PM / Tuesday.

For rental refrigeration, the easiest option are the "Reddi-Ice" rental machines. They are large (6-7' long by 2-3' deep and 5' tall) ice vending freezers that can be set to keep things very cold but not frozen. They are about $200USD each and that includes delivery and pick up at your spot. They can be reached at (901) 743-4030.
If we decide to do our own flooring, Is there a local place to get those pallets and plywood?

We have our old floor that we are looking to possibly sell. We upgraded to scaffold this year.

It is 35 4x4 3/4 inch plywood squares with 2x4's as bracers. 20ftx32ft area. That size floor to rent would be $1400 from Classic before 4/17/2015. After 4/17 it is $1555

We would normally ask $1100, but for a Brethren we will let it go for $900.
Let me know if y'all are interested.

This is a great deal for anyone looking to buy floor, BTW. at $25/panel you're getting finished flooring for well below the raw material costs... let alone it being $500 less than the cost to just RENT the floor from Classic party. :thumb:

Our third year in we went with a hybrid floor, front was classic rental and a 20x30 in the back for the cook area was pallets and plywood.

We spent a whole day shopping loading and installing the floor. not a big deal but the tear down on Sunday was a nightmare in 105 (f) heat, cars trucks trailers and everything which made loading the crap impossible and then we had to hand carry the pieces to the garbage bins to dispose.

Nope, we do not build floors or tents any more

Page 3 save! Everyone's awfully quiet :)

How's planning going? I think we have our ancillary dishes nailed down. Ordering all the random crap now. Scaffold up thurs/fri. Carpet and kegerator/bar loading in sat. Everything else coming in Mon/Tue/Wed. Sponsor dinner wed PM.

Here's to hoping for dry weather... though I don't think anyone is actually optimistic ;)

As long as it is not like last year...dang cold

yeah, that sucked. After rain soaking through our carpet and plywood last year causing a steady drip inside the booth, we are taking precautions this year. 24x49 Pool cover tarp will be tacked down under carpet upstairs to shed all water to the sides and down the mesh wrap of the structure.

Screen%20shot%202015-04-22%20at%2011.40.32%20AM.png

Here's to hoping for 4 days of mid 80's and sunshine, though.... :thumb:

Last edited:
I'm clearly a MIM newbie but this seems to be the most expensive competition out there correct?

But after reading all this I will put it on the to do list sounds like a great time! For now I will have to stick with the Royal since it's down the street.

I'm clearly a MIM newbie but this seems to be the most expensive competition out there correct?

But after reading all this I will put it on the to do list sounds like a great time! For now I will have to stick with the Royal since it's down the street.

MIM is expensive, definitely, though not as MUCH because of the cost of entering the contest itself. I'm not sure what the royal charges, but I'm guessing MIM is more for the "dirt" (space+entry). Basic 18x20 lot will run you $600 and that includes your entry into rib/shoulder/hog. Additional categories are $65 each. Theres a $250 nonrefundable clean-up fee. Power, Bathrooms, etc all start adding up. Team budgets run from a couple thousand dollars to $50k or more... just depending on the scale.

What makes MIM so expensive is the sheer spectacle of many teams... most booths double as a private party for 10...100....1000 of your friends, clients, sponsors, etc. When you start trying to build/rent a structure for this party, then provide food, drink, entertainment etc... it starts to add up. Quickly. :)

Last edited:
What makes MIM so expensive is the sheer spectacle of many teams... most booths double as a private party for 10...100....1000 of your friends, clients, sponsors, etc. When you start trying to build/rent a structure for this party, then provide food, drink, entertainment etc... it starts to add up. Quickly. :)

understatement.....

It is a vicious circle, you need the tent and the floor as a priority not to get washed away. then you need sponsors and hosting to assist in paying for the costs, which then inflates the costs and you need to decorate and provide just a bit more to get the right sponsors, partners. Then you need a larger space, more floor and bigger tent. now your getting on the larger size and every passer by wants to come in and now you have fencing and security. So after a few years your $2,000 budget now turns into $20,000 or more

However, looking out at the crows from onstage.... PRICELESS

Now I just have to get this fracking sauce to market

Fellow Brethren:

MIM is but a few weeks away...this is crunch time for us, so we might not check this post everyday. If you have questions please pm or post and we will try to answer ASAP.

A reminder for Brethren attending the event as a judge, spectator or cook. The annual BBQ Brethren Mixer will be in Too Sauced To Pork's booth (R86) at 4pm on Thursday May 14th. Open Bar and nibbles provided.

Brethren are always welcome to drop by the booth, get a tour and say hi. If we turn you away it will only be because at that moment we are being judged.

We hope to see y'all there!

Neil

Back